• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Coldspot SxS 106.52254100 The Refrigerator seems to be running continuously Force-Defrost

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpnk

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Background of the problem....

It all started few weeks ago, the food in the Fresh Food section started freezing. I checked the temperature settings, they were set to #3 on both the freezer and fridge. I lowered the temperature settings to #2 on both the freezer and fridge and it worked, the fridge wasn't freezing the food.

However, I had the feeling that the refrigerator is running non-stop. I have noticed it not running occasionally, especially in the mornings. All of a sudden this Saturday, the fridge started warming up, no cold air coming through the Air damper/diffuser (First time this happened couple years ago and service engineer replaced it when it was still under protection plan), the freezer seemed to be OK but not.

I opened the back cardboard panel of the refrigerator; the compressor and the compressor fan were running, opened the front panel and dusted the condenser coil.

After reading one of your replies on this forum, I checked the back panel inside the freezer and noticed frost build-up. The evaporator coil was also completely covered with frost build-up. The evaporator fan was working just fine. As advised in another forum, I used the hair dryer to melt the frost build-up and put back the panel. Since last night the refrigerator is working fine, the cold air gets blown to the fridge. The only problem now is the refrigerator seems to be running continuously.

Any ideas of what could be the problem? Could it be the bad defrost timer or defrost thermostat or something else gone bad? Or am I just being paranoia?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you have a part that's out in your defrost system.

Its either:
1. Control board(listed below)
2. Defrost thermostat
3. Defrost heater

The way you can tell, is to force it in a defrost cycle. You should have a tech. data sheet in the bottom front behind the kickplate grill, it will tell you how to force it into defrost, if after a few minutes the defrost heater comes on, then we know its the control board thats bad.

Report back what you find.:)

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board 8201527

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Need instructions

Hi Jake,

I did not find the instructions to force defrost. All I found was a circuit diagram when I pulled out the front grill. I'd appreciate if you can provide the step by step instructions to force defrost.

FYI, the Control board was replaced couple years ago along with the Air diffuser when the Fresh Food section was not cooling.<O:p</O:p
<O:p

I also noticed the refrigerator did stop running at least 4 times in the last 24 hours.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi JP,

Today's your lucky day, I remember someone posted the instructions a few years ago here, but I've been searching for it for a long time and I just found it.

To force a defrost cycle by following the instructions:
  1. Turn off the fridge using the control panel's ON/OFF button.
  2. Press ON/OFF and the water-filter Reset button for 3 seconds.
  3. Now the fridge is in Diagnostics mode at test #1.
  4. Defrost is the sixth test, so push the Reset button five times until the water-filter display reads "6".
Then give it a few minutes to see if the defrost heater comes on.

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the instructions. I will try it and let you know the results.

There is no mechanical defrost timer in this refrigerator?

One more question, do I have to remove the back panel inside the freezer before forcing defrost?

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is no mechanical defrost timer in this refrigerator?
No, on your model its integrated into your control board I posted a link to above.

One more question, do I have to remove the back panel inside the freezer before forcing defrost?
Just remove the freezer shelves, then take off the #18 screws

P0105064-00009.jpg

Then the panel#17 will pull out.

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

There is no display on the control panel (see the attached picture).

Still I followed the instructions and waited for about 10 minutes, nothing happened. Not sure if the forced defrost cycle really kicked in.

Evaporator coil had a little bit of frost build-up. Used the hair dryer to melt the frost build-up before putting back the panel.

Just to understand...

1. What would I see if the Forced Defrost actually kicks in.
2. How does the Defrost Heater look like on my unit.

Please advise on the next steps...

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, was there a display of any lights on the control panel at all before this problem began?

I would say your control board is bad if nothing is lighting up on it, you can order it in the link I supplied in post#2.

1. What would I see if the Forced Defrost actually kicks in.
The defrost heater would come on under the evaporator coil. You would see it get red hot, or feel heat coming from it.

2. How does the Defrost Heater look like on my unit.
#33 here is your defrost heater:

P0105064-00011.jpg

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly 2323197 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The lights on the control panel are all working fine. The picture was taken while the Refrigerator was turned Off.

There is no display on the control panel (see the attached picture).
I meant the control panel on my refrigerator doesn't have any number display on it.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure I'm following you, no lights in the display when you did the test? But display light works fine otherwise?

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

...no lights in the display when you did the test? But display light works fine otherwise?
Yes. That is correct.

Just to make sure I followed your instructions correctly, here is what I did...

1. Turn off the fridge using the control panel's ON/OFF button.
After this step all the lights on the Control Panel went out (Freezer, Refrigerator, and Water-Filter Status). The compressor, and the Evaporator Fan stopped.

2. Press ON/OFF and the water-filter Reset button for 3 seconds.
I pressed both ON/OFF and Water-Filter Status buttons simultaneously and held them down for 3 seconds. Nothing happened. The lights on the control panel were still off. Should the lights come back on when I perform this step?

I continued with step #3 and #4. Waited for few minutes, Nothing noticable happened.

Then, I turned ON the Refrigerator by pressing the ON/OFF button. All the lights came back and the Compressor and the Evaporator Fan started running.

I repeated the test goint thru the steps #1 thru #4 all over again. This time I waited for about 10 minutes, again nothing noticable happened.

Did I followed your instructions correctly?

Please advice me on the next steps.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I pressed both ON/OFF and Water-Filter Status buttons simultaneously and held them down for 3 seconds. Nothing happened. The lights on the control panel were still off. Should the lights come back on when I perform this step?
Yes.

Did I followed your instructions correctly?
Yes.

Sounds like that control board is malfunctioning, a new one should fix it. You can order it from the link I gave in post#2.

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Instructions to replace the Control Board

Hi Jake,

Could you please post the instructions to replace the Control Board.

Do I need to perform any tests after replacing the Control Board?

Please advise on next steps. Thank you.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
#25 trim just un-snaps

P0105064-00010.jpg

don't worry you won't break it.:) Get a flathead screwdriver and just pry at a corner then it all will un-snap, and the screws are underneath it.:)

Then remove the #3 screws.

Jake

jpnk

Premium Member
Checking defrost system parts

Hi Jake,

Ok, you have a part thats out in your defrost system.

Its either:
1. Control board(listed below)
2. Defrost thermostat
3. Defrost heater
Just a thought... Now we know the Control Board is bad, don't you think we have to check Defrost Thermostat and Defrost Heater to ensure they are working fine. How do I test them? Thanks.

Regards,
JP

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes,

You'll want to do a continuity check(while its frosty) on your defrost thermostat#35

P0105064-00011.jpg

It clips to the top of your evaporator coil#22.

While your defrost thermostat is frosty normal is 0 ohms.

Or watch this video to test it in a glass of ice water waiting at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it for continuity:

[video=youtube;zmdsBkO46dk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zmdsBkO46dk[/video]

And also the defrost heater, normal would be about 30 ohms.

You'll need a volt/ohm meter. They sell cheap ones at Radio Shack.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
Defrost Thermostat W10225581 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

rafal

Premium Member
I have exactly the same problem as described in #1 post. My model is 106.53602201. I have melt ice from evaporator coil as indicated on this forum many times. Also, I followed Jake direction on how to force defrost and end up with same results as described on post # 11 . Should defrost cycle be the same for my model; therefore my board is bad or should I use other steps to check defrost cycle? BTW, I have looked for tech data and I did not find it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have exactly the same problem as described in #1 post. My model is 106.53602201. I have melt ice from evaporator coil as indicated on this forum many times. Also, I followed Jake direction on how to force defrost and end up with same results as described on post # 11 . Should defrost cycle be the same for my model; therefore my board is bad or should I use other steps to check defrost cycle? BTW, I have looked for tech data and I did not find it.

Hi rafal,

Your model uses a different control board by 1 number. So yes the steps should be identical.

Now to verify its the control board, I always ohm the defrost thermostat for continuity(While its frosty) as I posted above.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Temperature Control Board 8201528 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

We have a special program here, all parts you order from our links we post are returnable within 365 days for a FULL refund if they don't fix the problem.

Jake

rafal

Premium Member
I've checked heating coil and I got 24.1 Ohms reading. The thermostat reading was .8-.9 Ohms but my evaporator was heated and cleaned early today so I am not sure if this has any impact on reading. Also, this looks like same board and it is $16 less. Will repairclinic also honor 30 refund as you indicated below? One point of clarification: in my case the compressor and the compressor fan are not ON all the time as it was indicated in the # 1 post. However, fan next to evaporator runs all the time. Since, I can not run diagnostic mode is there a way to pin point with high probability that this is the board and not something else?

Temperature Control Board 8201528 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Will repairclinic also honor 365 day refund as you indicated below?
Yes, they will.

One point of clarification: in my case the compressor and the compressor fan are not ON all the time as it was indicated in the # 1 post. However, fan next to evaporator runs all the time.
I know, the control board also controls the compressor and condenser fan motor in the back of your refrigerator.

I remember I changed a few of the control boards for the same issue you both are having, and it fixed them.

Since, I can not run diagnostic mode is there a way to pin point with high probability that this is the board and not something else?
Unfortunately, no, not that I'm aware of.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.