• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dishwasher 665.13163K701 intermittent draining

gabem

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13163K701
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore 665.13163K701 dishwasher that doesn't always complete its cycle. It sometimes ends early and the completed light flashes six times then pauses then flashes once. This is accompanied by water in the bottom of the washer. This happens about 50% of the time. When I manually run a drain cycle to clear the water, it always works fine.

Any chance anyone has a tech sheet available I can use to look up that code/fault? Or any advice?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run the service diagnostic cycle and check for error codes.

Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last ran information from memory and restores defaults; it also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle. Calibration cycle forces two rinses to occur prior to Final Rinse (to assure clear water), then calibrates the OWI during the final rinse.

The Service Diagnostic Cycle has 27 intervals and will take about 25 minutes.

The Service Diagnostic Cycle starts with interval 27 and ends on interval 1. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”

Press; HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL > HEATED DRY > NORMAL

Interval 27 turns on all the LEDs as a display test even if the door is open

Intervals 26-25-24-23 are for Error codes, newest to oldest.

The Clean (or Completed) LED will flash each error codes in 2 parts. The Clean LED will flash the FUNCTION code, pause for 2 seconds, then flash the PROBLEM code, pause for 5 seconds then repeat 3 more times.

If there are no error codes the LED will stay solid for 5 seconds.

Interval 22 is a 10 second pause. The Hi Temp LED will be on. Press the Hi Temp key to clear the error codes. The Hi Temp LED will blink twice to indicate the errors were cleared. Be sure to write down the error codes before you clear them.

Interval 21 to Interval 3 is the diagnostic cycle.

Intervals 2 and 1 are for any error codes found during the diagnostic cycle.

After the diagnostic cycle finishes, run a normal wash cycle and see if the problem is gone. If the problem occurs again run the diagnostics and see what error code it logged.

gabem

Premium Member
Thanks for your help here.

I ran the diagnostics cycle and then after a couple of successful washing cycles the same problem happened again last night (with the same 6-1 flashing at the end).

I just realized I didn't actually clear the codes during the first diagnostic cycle (not sure if I should have). I just ran the diag again after last night's incomplete run and it shows the last 3 errors as 8-2, 8-2 and 8-2. What's that code mean / what do you recommend as next step?

gabem

Premium Member
8-2 is the incoming water is below 90°F.
Hmm, that's interesting. I'm skeptical that's really the case but I'll try running the hot water before starting the dishwasher to see if that consistently fixes it...

Could it also be a temperature sensor? Any other potential things to troubleshoot?

rickgburton

Staff member
Do you still have the tech sheet and wiring diagram and can you post a copy here? I'm going by a similar model and it should be the same but who knows..lol

gabem

Premium Member
No, unfortunately I don't have the tech docs, that's why I'm here. We inherited this dishwasher with the house when we moved in. I took it out to reinstall it properly under the counter and couldn't find tech sheet/docs attached at that time.

I have spent many many hours searching the net for the service manual but have never been able to locate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I have the tech. data sheet for this model Rick, I'm attaching it below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10142826 - Rev B.pdf
    804.6 KB · Views: 42

rickgburton

Staff member
I think the problem is going to be the control:
whirlpool-d-w-ctrl-wpw10285178-ap6018709_01_l.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome Rick, and I agree with you about it being the control board that is causing this issue.

Jake

gabem

Premium Member
Thanks for all the help, Jake & Rick.

For the last 10 runs, running the faucet to get the water hot before starting the cycle has prevented the error. I don't know why this would start happening now when it never behaved like this in the past -- perhaps the sensor's tolerances have changed or something. It's not winter here yet so weather isn't a cause.

I can say it does take quite a while for the water to get hot at the kitchen sink -- definitely over a minute. So it's not super surprising that it's throwing this error -- just surprising that it never did in the past. Maybe our routines have changed such that we're starting the dishwasher later and the water in the pipes has cooled too much.

gabem

Premium Member
Not sure what it's set at but it's coming out at the kitchen tap at 130 (after running for 2 mins). I'm guessing it's set to 135 or 140 but have to get a flashlight and head to the basement to know for sure....

gabem

Premium Member
Hi Rick . After a period of fairly consistent successful runs, the dishwasher is bad exhibiting the same behavior -- it's not completing the full cycle and there's water siting in the bottom. Every time I've looked at the diag (about 5 times) it's reporting a 6-1.

Any other troubleshooting steps you'd recommend? Or should I just be replacing the board at this point? Looks like I can get one for about $55...

rickgburton

Staff member
it's reporting a 6-1.
Error 6 (wash motor) 1 (no communication) is new. Measure resistance of diverter from load side of fuse (long wire side) to test pad at P12-6 on control (normal resistance 1300-1600 Ω). If the door switches check good, replace the motor according to the tech sheet.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is correct.

Here's the pump/wash motor assembly for your model, if you need to order it:
W10168823 PUMP&MOTOR

Jake