• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dishwasher 665.14833N510 Lower Spray Arm Troubles and Diagnostic Mode Woes

nealjpage

Premium Member
Model Number
665.14833N510
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Good afternoon. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a Kenmore Elite 66514833N510 dishwasher that is having troubles. I've tried to follow some of the repair tips for other similar models, but this particular model seems to be unique.

Problem: Water is leaking from the bottom of the door.
Cause: The lower spray arm is not rotating; the constant spraying of water in one spot seems to cause water to be driven up and under the door.

The fact that the spray arm isn't rotating leads me to believe that the diverter motor is bad, and that I should run the diagnostic mode. However, following the instructions on the service sheet "press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3" does not force the unit into diagnostic mode. I have turned off power to the unit and held down the START button for approximately 15 seconds to clear the panel, and then left it unpowered for 10-15 minutes. After restoring power, the diagnostic mode still will not run.

I had a technician out to look at it today. He seemed totally baffled by the unit ("these new things are just junk") and recommended that I just replace it. He did not know how to run a diagnostic test on it (I forgot while he was here that I have the tech sheet, so he didn't have it for reference), and wasn't sure how the lower arm operates. He didn't charge me for the visit, which was nice. He noticed some sort of oil was spattered around on the underside of the unit and surmised that perhaps the transmission has gone out. I don't see a transmission or anything similar on the parts diagram.

First question: What am I doing wrong when trying to run the diagnostic test?
Second question: What runs the lower spray arm? The arm has gears on it, one of which seems to be engaged by a vertical gear that comes up through the sump. I can't tell from the exploded parts diagram what drives that vertical gear.

Thanks so much in advance! If this unit is indeed, as he said, "junk," I guess I will have no problem replacing it; however, it was pretty pricy when we bought it, and it's only about four years old, so I'd like to keep it in service if possible.

Robert4

Premium Member
Make sure you are pressing the keys with no more than 1 second between each key press. You can also try a different set of 3 keys. It can take approx 25 mins to complete.

Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.
NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”

The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

I don't think this is a bad model. But if you compare any product to what you could buy 20 years ago, the saying "They just don't make it like they used to" holds true of just about everything these days.

Jake will give you a more specific answer as to what the issue might be, and what runs the lower spray arm. I believe, although I cannot guarantee, that the lower spray arm turns by directing water through two holes that are underneath it.

nealjpage

Premium Member
Thank you, Robert. I have tried various groupings of three buttons and pressed them sequentially, and within 1 second. I can't get the diagnostic mode to run.

Robert4

Premium Member
What's the part number on your tech sheet so I look it up? It should be in the upper left hand corner and might start with a W.

Robert4

Premium Member
Okay, thanks! Do all of the LED light come on after the 1-2-3 sequence or does nothing happen?

Does the Clean light come on for 5 seconds after you entered the sequence?

Robert4

Premium Member
After entering the sequence, you closed the door right? All of the keys respond to you pushing them, right? If yes to both, I'm sorry, I don't know what that means. I think you'll have to wait for @Jake to tell you what that means.

nealjpage

Premium Member
That's right. I pushed three buttons in sequence three times and shut the door. The three that seem to respond are the wash mode cycle buttons. When I try other buttons (the option group), some will respond depending on where in the sequence they are pushed (sani rinse needs to be held down, for example).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, seems you have two problems, the control panel keypad has a short in it causing the buttons not to respond properly, then like you mentioned the spray arm issue with the diverter motor.

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:
Your Kenmore 665 is made by Whirlpool, that's why the part says Whirlpool.:)

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
Diverter Motor W10843811

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Really? All the buttons respond when pressing them in normal operation?

If this problem only happens when trying to get it into diagnostic mode, then the control board is possibly the problem:

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below to make sure you are doing it right.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10758801 - Rev C.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 53

nealjpage

Premium Member
So the diverter motor is what runs the gear for the lower spray arm? Bummer. This is the second motor to fail on this washer. The first one had a leaky seal and was replaced under warranty.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you are correct.

Look here:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Neal, sounds good. Keep us posted.

Jake

nealjpage

Premium Member
Well, Jake, I intended to replace that motor but had to put it off because of a scheduled trip out of town. I went to run the dishwasher today and, after about 10 minutes, noticed a strong odor of hot electronics. The washer hadn't filled and the was a burning smell coming from under the toe panel.

I guess the repairman was right--time to toss this piece of junk and install something new. It's a shame, too. I installed that dishwasher in August, 2017. I hoped that it would've lasted more than 3 years and 10 months. The warranty expired in August, 2020, too.

Sigh.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The best and most reliable dishwasher on the market today is Maytag.

Now is the best time to get a Maytag dishwasher, the 4th of July sales have already started at all the appliance stores.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake