• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dishwasher 665.16022403 normal wash and quick rinse lights flashing

MaxF

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We have a dishwasher with model number 665.16022403 it's a Kenmore UltraWash QuietGuard 3. When it just sits idle the normal wash and quick rinse lights flash rapidly, sometimes in different combinations, i.e. only one flashes or sometimes another light lights up as well. We can still use the buttons, I sometimes have to push a few different buttons to get the flashing to stop, then select the cycle and run the dishwasher. It still seems to run a full cycle, but at the end the clean light no longer lights up. Is this something that can and should be fixed? I've seen posts about replacing the panel, buttons and/or board and wondering what we should order for parts.

Thanks.

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Run the Service Diagnostics Cycle. Press the following keys, in order, in less than 6 seconds, while in standby mode:

Heated Dry > Normal > Heated Dry > Normal

MaxF

Premium Member
well, since I wrote the message this morning it seems to have given up completely. More lights were flashing so I reset the breaker, now the normal wash and pots and pans lights are dimly lit and none of the buttons work except the cancel/drain button which appears to start the drain cycle, but I don't think I can start a wash cycle anymore.

MaxF

Premium Member
sorry, just to also say that the button sequence you suggest doesn't appear to make it do anything. not sure if the buttons are not responding.

MaxF

Premium Member
and another update.. it seems to have sorted itself out a bit so only normal wash light flashes.

I was able to do the test and all the lights on the front light up.

rickgburton

Staff member
That's a display test. Did it finish the diagnostic cycle? Same problem?

MaxF

Premium Member
ok, so I made the mistake of not having the door closed. I tried it again with the door closed. All lights go on, then a few flashed and it went to normal cycle and started. It didn't run for very long, but at the end there were no lights on. It seemed rinsed inside the dishwasher and it was warm. I wasn't watching it closely enough to see what part of the cycle it stopped on. Sorry I did not know what I was watching for, or if it's just that it stops. When we run it normally it does seem to run, more or less, for the full time, but we don't pay close attention.

rickgburton

Staff member
Let's make sure we are on the same page. The title of the thread you have the model listed as 665.10622403 and the same number in your description of the issue. Nothing comes up with that number. In your first post info you have the model listed as 665.16022403. That number comes up and that's the number I'm going by.

Total time for the diagnostic cycle is about 16 minutes. It resets the control to the default settings. When done it goes into standby mode. Sometimes a glitch in the software can cause odd LED behavior. Running the diagnostics will sometimes fix it.

MaxF

Premium Member
yes, sorry, you are correct that the number is 665.16022403. The dishwasher did seem to be better after the diagnostic, we just ran it this evening and it seems to run through the full cycle fine but the clean light still does not come on at the end. It has not blinked any more lights at us in the last hour or so, but the problem does seem to be intermittent.

rickgburton

Staff member
Run the diagnostics a second time and see if that does it. If not, let me know

MaxF

Premium Member
I ran the diagnostics again today and it did the following: all the lights went on, then it started a cycle on normal wash, it made it all the way through washing and sensing to drying, then the lights went out, it blinked some lights then went to quick rinse + drying + start lights lit up. After about 20 min. total the lights went out and it seemed to be done. Now, a few hours later, the pots and pans and normal wash lights are blinking back and forth. I hope that is helpful.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, sounds like one of the keys or keylines is shorted in the console. Unfortunately the part (#WP8558944) has been discontinued and is no longer available.

MaxF

Premium Member
are these the part I would need? https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad/WP8558947/1066181 or this one : https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Panel/WP8558944/4438492 ?

they look like the front panel of our dishwasher, although the prices are quite different. Having looked closer they are both labelled 'special order' and it says they will be ordered from the manufacturer, so I'm guessing the answer will the that they are discontinued?

there appear to be used ones : fieldior.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_7_8&products_id=29197

rickgburton

Staff member
The expensive one has 8 buttons and yours has 7 buttons. Don't go by pictures or old part numbers Always use the model number. When a part is discontinued I usually check other parts sites. I found it's been discontinued on at least 2 parts sites so when I see "special order" or "out of stock" on another parts site, it usually means discontinued. In the past I've found when you buy a used pc board, you usually end up buying someone else's problems.