• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore dishwasher lights flashing: "Hi Temp" & "Heat Dry"

scottchristie07

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

My Kenmore Precision Wash dishwasher is roughly 2 years old. A few months ago, we had a brief power outage and the next morning, noticed the "Hi Temp" and "Heat Dry" lights were flashing. Upon a little internet research, we discovered this simply occurs when there is a power interruption. The dishwasher restarted and ran ok.

Well since then, the dishwasher intermittently stops mid-cycle and these same lights flash. We usually just open & close the door and restart it, or we started flipping the breaker and then restarting it. One of these two things would usually work and it would work properly the next time. The problem is becoming more and more frequent, however. For instance, I have tried probably 4-5x now to get it to run, and it continues to stop halfway through.

I realize this is some sort of electrical problem but don't understand why it's intermittent. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, there should be a tech. data sheet either behind your bottom access panel, or in the console.

There is a key dance you have to put it through to reset it from the power failure mode.

Usually you push these keys:
high temp wash /// no heat dry
back and forth 3-4 times

Lets us know what happens.

Jake

scottchristie07

Premium Member
Thanks for your response. I have tried doing the key sequence to reset it months ago, and it did not take care of it. After I started this thread, it was running fine and then all of a sudden quit. All the lights went out and no buttons on the keypad were responsive. Considering the long history of the issue, its intermittent nature, and another thread I found on this website, I ordered a control board for it. I just finished installing it and the dishwasher is running now for the first time. Fingers crossed! Everything went fine, the only thing that makes me nervous is that obviously, when I turned the breaker back on, those same lights were flashing. I hit "Start/Stop" (because I believe that is the correct action) and started it on normal wash..

scottchristie07

Premium Member
Update: the dishwasher stopped mid-cycle again with all the lights going out and the buttons becoming unresponsive. This isn't even the original problem! I'm going to try flipping the breaker and doing the key sequence to reset. Any thoughts?

scottchristie07

Premium Member
I just flipped the breaker, but the lights did not even illuminate! Keypad's still unresponsive. This hasn't ever happened before.

fyxxer

Premium Member
Have you checked in the junction box where the power connects to the dishwashers harness. Where the power cord connects with wire nuts. poor connection might be the culprit.

scottchristie07

Premium Member
I have one main power cord running from the breaker box in the basement to the junction box in the dishwasher. That connection is tight. Double checked all the connections as the wiring system feeds up through to the control board.. no loose connections. It's definitely not getting power. But I don't understand why it ran fine when I first reassembled it. Apparently that short or loose connection is still lurking somewhere... :( Any other ideas?

scottchristie07

Premium Member
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! There was a loose connection inside one of the wire nuts. I never would have found it, except that I was jiggling wires and the lights came back on. I started running the dishwasher and got it to cut out again by jiggling the same wire. Easy fix! Shoddy work from the factory, that's for sure... Thanks for your input!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Very good finding that, usually when I come across a loose connection in one of the wire nuts the dishwasher just stops completely, like its dead.

Jake

fyxxer

Premium Member
The last two dws I have looked at that were dead had that problem. One was very obvious with the connection clearly melted but about 10 days ago I looked at a Maytag and there was power on the hot wire going to the dw harness but inside the wire nut the white neutral was melted and disconnected.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very interesting.

Well, sounds like your back in business.:)

Jake