• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Dishwasher Troubleshooting 587.15073281 - Caked powder everywhere

gatorback

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
20160623_102159.jpgPhoto: https://s6.postimg.org/grgwl87...

Kenmore Dishwasher (model 587.15073281) is 10 years old and is used 3 months out of the year. Symptoms include caked powder everywhere as shown in photo. Tried dissolving it fingertips and not really sure if it is soap. Ran it through a cycle (with soap) and it seems to drain.
Would like to diagnose root cause of the issue. Is there a link to a good troubleshooting procedure? I look forward to hearing from those who have had succes responses: thank you

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Clean both filters for the pump. Turn off any heated options like sani-wash and heated dry. Dishwasher empty and no soap, start the machine on a normal wash cycle. Listen for the fill valve to stop then open the door and check the water level. It should be up to the element. Close the door and listen to the wash cycle. It should start at the end of the fill cycle. You can hear if the spray arm is turning as the water hits the door. If everything checks good let the machine finish the cycle. When the wash cycle is done start the machine again. Once more check the fill cycle water level. Let the machine go into the wash cycle and wash for one minute then open the door. If there is suds on the water cut back on the amount of soap you use by half.

Filter.jpg

Water Inlet Valve 154637401 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Water-Inlet-Valve-154637401-01472170.jpg

Pro TJ129 Glisten Cleaner
Cleaner-5304482929-01249712.jpg

gatorback

Premium Member
@rickgburton: thank you for you helpful response. The statement: "Clean both filters for the pump. Please clarify if it is the filter screens shown in your attached diagram.

This morning I emptied the machine and ran it without soap or dishes per the instuctions A dash of vinegar was added. I believe spray arm is turning and performing as-intended. A mid-cycle inspection revealed water in the machine and when the cycle was completed water was evacuated. Significant trace of caked white material remains. Next step is to find directions to disassemble the spray-arm as shown in the diagram and clean filters.

gatorback

Premium Member
It is soap or mineral deposits (the white material)?
Excellent question. I think the white caked material is primarily soap: when handled manually it will dissolve in water and water in Florida is not hard. The amount there is too much material to be mineral-deposit only.

I defeated the mechanical control-interlock and was able to observe water enter the chamber. Water-flow seemed to be fine, though I have no frame of reference. I did watch it just long enough until the spray-bar was engaged (rotating and spraying water): I immediately shut the door to keep the water inside the chamber. Running it one-more time this morning without soap, vinegar or dishes in the hope that deposits are soap and dissolve.

Is there a video or .pdf disassembly sheet you recommend to get to the filter screens in your good diagram? Or is dissasembly unnecessary? If I can see how it is done, I hope to avoid breaking things unnecessarily.

Last edited:

gatorback

Premium Member
New questions

* Will adding a mild acid (vinegar) or base will increase the solubility of soap?
* Switched to a new detergent: is there any history of certain brands of soap being prone to caking?

The one-hour limit to edit postings forced prevented me from adding these to my previous post

gatorback

Premium Member
I cleared the soap and was left with mineral deposit. I was able to remove the spraybar and the upper filter. The lower filter (red-box in diagram) rotates about the axis, but I have not been able to remove it: not certain what keeps it in place and reluctant to pull on it for fear of breaking it. Lower filter mesh was caked with mineral deposit and was cleared with toothbrush + vinegar. Any an all loose particles were either vacuumed or wiped away with a sponge. Any removable parts were removed and scrubbed.

Selection_025.png

After cleaning lower screen filter and reassembled, it was put through another cycle and disassembled for inspection. Observed 1 cm of water in lower-filter. Let it sit overnight and checked it this morning: 1 cm of water is still there. Is it normal-ops to have 1 cm of standing water?

gatorback

Premium Member
UPDATE: Mineral deposits were removed with a good scrubbing with elbow-grease. Inspection revealed upper rack cleans nicely and lower rack dishes have a film. Glisten was applied after lower-rack dish inspection.

Dishwasher Magic Cleaner WX10X10200

I am now measuring the amount of soap I am using and attempting to reduce the amount so as to use the minimum necessary: to avoid caking the system and it's also nice if a box of soap lasts longer.