• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dryer 110.74084202 It shuts off in any mode cycle after a few minutes.

csstile

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Dryer 110.74084202. It shuts off in any mode cycle after a few minutes. I have tested the Thermistor and it is reading 13.1K ohms which is within specs. I replaced the Thermal Resister a few months ago and it is also reading within spec at 0 ohms. What is the next part to consider checking and/or replacing to fix this problem?

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Model Number 111.7408.4202

That should read 110.7408.4202 too.

csstile said:
It shuts off in any mode cycle after a few minutes

When it shuts off, can it be restarted right away or do you have to wait awhile before it will go again?

Dan O.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If when it stops on its own it can't be restarted right away, that is a common symptom of the motor overheating and cutting out on its internal overload protector. Once it's had a chance to cool the protector resets and allows the motor to run again... until it overheats again. It is a safety feature of the motor's design.

If the motor isn't just plugged up with lint and dust, etc. causing it to overheat, the motor is likely defective and needs to be replaced to correct the condition.

LINK > Kenmore 110.74084202 Dryer Motor

Dan O.

Last edited:

csstile

Premium Member
Thank your diagnosis and recommendation.

To be little more specific about the behavior when I try to restart after it stops on it's own I hear a rapid 3 beeps when I try to restart. Does that provide more confirmation of your diagnosis?

Is there any chance one the components could be the issue / solution instead of the motor? Dryer thermal fuse, Dryer thermostat or dryer thermal fuse?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Thermostats mainly control heating, not the running of the motor. A fuse once tripped would stay tripped and never operate again until replaced. If it operates again, no fuse is the cause.

The safety thermostat might shut the whole dryer down if overheating. That is a problem with the dryer, not the thermostat.

Basically, it the motor is getting power but not running, it is defective. It it's not even getting power, the problem is elsewhere.

csstile said:
when I try to restart after it stops on it's own I hear a rapid 3 beeps

That could indicate something else. I don't have access to the 'tech sheet' for your model to find out. You might need to check the tech sheet with the wiring diagram in the machine.

Does any error code display?

Dan O.

Last edited:

csstile

Premium Member
Attached is tech sheet.

I have no error codes.

I checked the resistance for the "Main" and "Start" windings per the instructions (Test #2, Step 3). The reading was infinity (0.L) not the specified 2.4-3.6 ohms. Seems odd that it's infinity.

Unless you think otherwise I'll try replacing the motor.

Attachments

• Tech Sheet_Kenmore 110.7408.4202.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 47

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
csstile said:
The reading was infinity (0.L) not the specified 2.4-3.6 ohms. Seems odd that it's infinity.
Are you certain that means infinity and not 0 (zero) ohms?

If either motor winding was totally open (infinite resistance) I wouldn't expect the motor to run at all or at the most, only momentarily until the overload protector tripped. If it runs for a while before shutting down, I'd suggest double checking your measurements.

But even if you got the correct measurements, that doesn't necessarily mean the motor is "good", just that it's windings are not the problem. It's usually bad motor bearings that cause a motor to overheat and cut out on its overland protect only after use.

JMO

Dan O.

csstile

Premium Member
I bought and installed a new motor. When I hit start it and the digital timer flashes the duration time and I can hear a hum coming from the motor area until I hit stop. I have checked the connections, pully switch, drum moves freely, etc. and all appear to be correct. I also ran diagnostics and got the '5' code indicating it is OK. Any idea why the motor does not spin and I only hear humming? Do I have a defective motor? It is a Whirlpool / FSP motor 279797.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
csstile said:
Any idea why the motor does not spin and I only hear humming?

Can the motor be manually turned by hand? Maybe it's jammed up somehow?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know but if the motor is definitely humming, it should be because it's getting power. If it's getting power but not running, either it's defective or not connected properly.

I suggest someone confirm exactly where the sound is originating from.

csstile

Premium Member
It's hard to not connect correctly. There is a single connector and two wires from the pulley switch. See pics. The old motor was connected identical to the new. I'll have to put it back together tonight and update tomorrow to confirm where the hum is coming from.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 43

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I worked at Sears in the early 2000's I saw a lot of these models and this same problem, the problem is the control board.

Here's the control board for your model:

Its been discontinued.

Jake

csstile

Premium Member
My assumption was wrong, sorry. The humming was NOT coming from the motor. The humming was coming from the heating element. After a 10-15 seconds the gas would come on then the flame would ignite. It would then go off after about 10 seconds. The motor would never come on. Do you still believe it could be the control board. If so, any idea why the old motor would run at least for a short time?

csstile

Premium Member
In regard to the control board would not the diagnostic test indicate a bad board? All buttons passed the diagnostic test.

The control board part number provided in your link 8566150 cross references to AP3841286. Amazon has a control board for sale that cross references to both part numbers and another that appears to do the same. It also lists the board as "Renewed". It's tough to tell between the pictures that it is the same board as they are oriented differently but, do you think this is the same board and would fix the problem you experienced? Would my previous post change that assessment?