• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dryer 110.74084202 It shuts off in any mode cycle after a few minutes.

csstile

Premium Member
I think it's the relay on the board. Not sure when it fried current symptoms should have happen with the old motor. One of the sodered pins appears to black and burnt. I noticed on eBay they sell the relay for around $5-$7. It's worth a shot to buy it, unsolder the bad relay and soder the new one one. Do you think this the problem / solution?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, likely the solder or relay on the board. Don't pay $243 on amazon, that's a rip-off, you can buy a brand new dryer for $399 on sale. LOL

As techs we don't solder, we just replace the control board, but you can try the solder and see if that works.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
csstile said:
I think it's the relay on the board. One of the sodered pins appears to black and burnt.
That could be the relay or a bad solder connection generating heat. Replacing or resoldering the relay might fix it if there's no other problem with the board. Like Jake said, appliance technicians usually just replace the whole board when any part of it fails.

Dan O.

csstile

Premium Member
I have concluded that the "Renewed" control boards are ones that have had the motor relay and/or heating relay replaced. The relays are available online for less than $10. I'm going to order one and see if I can do the replacement myself. Here are some pictures of the control board motor relay area both sides. Notice the burnt pin.
Yes, likely the solder or relay on the board. Don't pay $243 on amazon, that's a rip-off, you can buy a brand new dryer for $399 on sale. LOL

As techs we don't solder, we just replace the control board, but you can try the solder and see if that works.

JakePro
Ebay has the board for $135. I'll try the renewing the board myself first with the relay and then if that doesn't work I'll buy the board. Wife likes matched pairs so although a new dryer may cost $399 I would have to buy a pair and she would want an LG or Samsung which if far higher in cost.

Do you have any idea why the relay pin was burnt? Could the relay still be good but the solder joint compromised? It really makes no sense that the old motor at least ran but stopped prior to finishing the cycle and the new motor won't fire up at all now due to a burnt relay. I'm wondering when the relay fried. Was it on initial startup of new motor and if so, why?

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
csstile said:
I would have to buy a pair and she would want an LG or Samsung which if far higher in cost.
If you bought either of those brands, service would be much more difficult. Most techs would advise against those brands... in appliances anyway.

csstile said:
Do you have any idea why the relay pin was burnt?
Discolouration comes from heat. Heat is generated by bad connections in power circuit resulting in arcing and thus heat.

The bad connection could be due to bad contacts inside the relay, a bad connection between the relay and the board connection (ie. bad solder job), a bad connection between the attached wire and the board terminal or between the wire terminal and the wire it is attached to.

The latter two don't look applicable in your case.

Dan O.

csstile

Premium Member
From what I can see it looks like it's just the one pin of the relay that fried. As I mentioned in a previous post I ran the full control board diagnostic selecting each button and had now issues. So I think the rest of the board is good. I guess I can try to just try to heat up and resolder the fried pin an see if that does anything while I wait for the new relay.

csstile

Premium Member
Really frustrated! I now have a brand new control board and motor. I have validated that the pulley switch, fuse and thermistor are all functioning normally. I have checked all connections. I run through the control panel diagnostics and it passes 100%.

As soon as I push the start button the time display starts flashing and dryer will not start. At the same time I can hear the igniter click on and after a few seconds the ignitor will start the flame for the heater.

Anyone have any idea why it won't start and what to check next that I haven't already?

csstile

Premium Member
I discovered a few new things that I would appreciate you feedback on the following behavior:

1) Can you tell me what it means when the timer display flashes after pressing the start button? I don't see anything in the dryer documentation and this may be a clue to what is wrong.

2) In diagnostic mode when the Start button is pressed it should return a "E3" or "E5" whereas all other buttons return a "88". When pressing the Start button in diagnostic mode it exits the diagnostic mode and tries to start the dryer. This should not happen. It should stay in diagnostic mode and display "E3" or "E5".

3) The diagnostic instructions state, "Every input change of state will result in a beep, including the Door Switch and the Moisture Sensor". When I open the door in diagnostic mode I do not hear a beep. Could this indicate a bad door switch. My wife just informed that she has noticed that when the dryer was previously functioning that intermittently when she would open the door the dryer would not stop. Could this mean it is a bad door switch and would this stop the dryer from starting?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is a 2004 model dryer.

1) Can you tell me what it means when the timer display flashes after pressing the start button? I don't see anything in the dryer documentation and this may be a clue to what is wrong.

2) In diagnostic mode when the Start button is pressed it should return a "E3" or "E5" whereas all other buttons return a "88". When pressing the Start button in diagnostic mode it exits the diagnostic mode and tries to start the dryer. This should not happen. It should stay in diagnostic mode and display "E3" or "E5".
Both those problems sounds like the control board is defective.

3) The diagnostic instructions state, "Every input change of state will result in a beep, including the Door Switch and the Moisture Sensor". When I open the door in diagnostic mode I do not hear a beep. Could this indicate a bad door switch. My wife just informed that she has noticed that when the dryer was previously functioning that intermittently when she would open the door the dryer would not stop. Could this mean it is a bad door switch and would this stop the dryer from starting?
Yes, bad door switch.

Here's the door switch for your model:
Door Switch WP3406107

When you click the link to the door switch, you will see a video to ohm test it, and a video to access it.:)

Make sure you unplug the dryer before ohm testing it.

Jake