• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dryer 86980100 will not heat after replacing thermal fuse

charleSA

Premium Member
imported post

I have a 10+ year old Kenmore dryer (m: 86980100), will not heatand just replaced the thermal fuse to see if that was the problem. Still am not getting heat. What do I do?

:X

Two years ago I had the unit serviced (preventive maint) and all been fine. Recently, I have found, in the last few weeks, that if I used the timed drying the clothes had to be dried over and over to complete the process. But if I used the dryness selection method the clothes came out dry. Last week I found the clothes not getting dry via either method. Can you help?

DB130

Premium Member
imported post

You probably have a dead thermostat or two and/or a dead heating element. A new thermal fuse won't help a no-heat condition. Do you have access to a multimeter?

I've had to repair two electric dryers this spring for family members. One dryer had a heating element die due to lint build-up in the dryer ducting and the dryer itself. The other dryer had a faulty cycling thermostat.

charleSA

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I was outside puting up a clothes line until I get this fixed.

To answer your question, No I do not have a multimeter. Yes we had lint build up in the tray but is there more I need to do?

charleSA

Premium Member
imported post

Do I have to replace the box, thermal cutoff and heater-stat?

Or

Do I have to open the back and remove everthing minus the drum to clean the dryer out?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

**86980100**

I got 110.86980100 to work for me.

**will not heat**

This here is from an FAQ section that has some common trouble makers for no heat.

jeff.