• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Dryer Problem - Power Cord

DougP

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore Dryer - Model Number 110.86950100. I move from a house that used the 3 wire connection to a 4 wire connection. I replaced the 3 wire power supply cord with a new 4 wire power supply cord. I followed the Kenmore installation guide to wire to the new 4 wire power supply cord. The dryer worked, except for the heater element. The dryer was working just fine using the 3 wire connector. To make sure that the heater element was still working, I rewired the dryer back to the 3 wire connector and took it back to my old house and plugged it in. The heater element worked just great! So, I rewired it dryer back to the 4 wire power supply cord and the heater element doesn't work. I check the connection from the plug to the dryer and the dryer is getting 240 volts. Any ideas?
Thanks.

aaastan

Appliance Tech
Doug,

Your problem is likely anincorrect plug wire installation.

The new four prong plug will have the following wire colors:

Black

Red

White

Green

Install the black and red wires to the outside connections of the terminal block.

They can be installed on either side regardless of color.

Install the white wire to the center terminal block connection.

The green wire is attached to the body of the dryer. You should see a 5/16 green screw near the terminal block itself. Remove the green ground screw and install the green wire to the dryer body.

Should work.

John

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
**Install the black and red wires to the outside connections of the terminal block.

They can be installed on either side regardless of color.

Install the white wire to the center terminal block connection.

The green wire is attached to the body of the dryer.**

jeff.

Attachments