• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elec Range 790.95681301 - Loud pop

Jimmurphy99

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
We heard a loud pop when preheating the oven. Everything shut off - breaker had tripped. Resetting the breaker causes the F1 error code to sound/flash, and the oven initiates its door lock procedure. The stove top appears to still work ("element on" light goes on - element begins to heat up). Oven does not work.

Related side note???? A week or so ago we noticed the RIGHT FRONT element knob was acting funny - not turning off properly. It seemed to correct itself with a couple of turns between off and on.

Does this sound like an oven element short? A touch pad problem? Both? Other? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

I know loud pop sound well then the breaker tripping OFF.

I always check the oven elements first for breakage and for ohms of resistance with a multimeter, but since the breaker didn't retrip after you turned the breaker back ON, then yes the clock oven control board is bad. I've had many service calls for this issue and never once yet seen a shorted element cause this issue, its always been the clock oven control board on these Kenmore 790 models made by Frigidaire.

Here's the clock oven control board for your model you can order here:
316207511 Oven Control Board

You need to remove the overlay from the old one and put it on the new one. It just peels off and re-sticks to the front of the new one.

You have to pull your range out from the wall to replace it, Unplug your range first before replacing it!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake