• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore electric dryer appears to be running backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

theripster

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I sold a lady a dryer 6 days ago that I had repaired and tested. She called me today and described a problem that I can only describe as the timer running backwards. She said she set it on timed dry for 10 minutes. She came back about 15 or so minutes later and the timer was setting on 30 minutes. Is this even possible? What would happen if the two wires for the timer motor were reversed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you installed the timer backwards, did you replace the timer in it before you sold it?

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Yeah, that's the problem. I did not work on the timer. I replaced the rollers, the heating element, the belt, and the end of cycle signal switch. Is it possible for the timer to run backwards if the two motor wires are installed backwards? I wanted to get a couple of opinions about that before I call her back. I give warranties with all my appliances and will either repair replace or refund. Especially since it's only been a week.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it possible for the timer to run backwards if the two motor wires are installed backwards?
I really don't know to tell you the truth, sorry I can't really help you on this one.

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
I understand. No problem. I'll be going to see her today and will of course run it first to make sure the problem is as described. If it is,
I'll reverse them and see what happens. I'll let you know the results this evening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes keep us posted.

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Well I went to see her, and ran it in timed dry and it did indeed run backwards. I swapped the leads on the motor itself and tried it again and it did the same thing. So I swapped the dryer out with another one and she is now a happy camper. I on the other hand, now have a new puzzle at the house. I've got a bunch of old timers here and so I'll try swapping motors to see if that works. If it does, I think I'll probably disect this motor to see if I can better understand the problem. If I find anything worth noting, I'll surely let you guys know.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thats very odd. Yes, keep us posted.

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Well I took the timer motor apart and there is a very simple plastic locking mechanism designed to insure that the motor always starts in the same direction. I found that the ridge on the rotor was badly worn which allowed the rotor to slide over the lock and thus start in either direction. I'm inserting a couple of pics. Hope you can see what I'm talking about. P1100725.jpgP1100726.jpg

theripster

Premium Member
Yes, I have way too much free time on my hands. On the plus side, we all now know not only that it can happen, but why it can happen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Very interesting, don't think I've ever seen that in my 25 years of appliance repair.

Good job getting to the bottom of it.:)

Here's the timer for this model in case others with this model need to order it:
Whirlpool 3398194 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

BrianR

Premium Member
Well I took the timer motor apart and there is a very simple plastic locking mechanism designed to insure that the motor always starts in the same direction. I found that the ridge on the rotor was badly worn which allowed the rotor to slide over the lock and thus start in either direction. I'm inserting a couple of pics. Hope you can see what I'm talking about.View attachment 8724View attachment 8725

I have the same problem with my 110.97292100 gas dryer. Timer is apparently 3398195 (as opposed to 3398194). Is there a way to fix it, other than replacing the entire timer?

theripster

Premium Member
It is actually the timer motor that is bad and not the timer. If you are like me and have all sorts of old parts around you can possibly replace the timer motor from one on another old timer. Of course if you don't have that option you are just about limited to getting another timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.