• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite (106.51173310) not cooling, compressor and condenser fan not running

Teslanova

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Woke up this morning and noticed both freezer and refrigerator side were not cooling at all. There is air blowing into the freezer section (but not cold). The compressor is not running (no noise whatsoever, no clicking) and the condenser fan is not running. Getting continuity on all 3 prongs of compressor. Loud humming noise coming from somewhere what seems to be behind freezer section. Any ideas what to check next?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Both compressor and condenser fans are powered from the main control board. If they are both not operating when the interior fan is, there may be a problem with that board or the P1 connector on that board may have come loose?

These links are pertinent to this topic. They were supplied by this message author. Please read them.

LINK > Kenmore 106.51173310 Electronic Control Board

Alt. supplier:

LINK > W11088506 Control Board

I'm not certain where located but it looks to be at the rear in the compressor compartment under this cover:

wpw10247993.png

There are some diagnostic tests that can be done which are described in the unit's 'tech sheet'.

LINK > Service Tech Sheet & wiring diagram - w10516609 (PDF)

Loud humming noise coming from somewhere what seems to be behind freezer section.

Inside the cabinet? If so, I don't know what would be in there to generate sound other than the evaporator fan motor. It shouldn't affect the operation of those other two components.

Dan O.

Teslanova

Premium Member
Thanks for your insight. I just got a new board and replaced it. The compressor now kicks on but the condenser fan does not, although I only had it on for about 15 minutes and decided to unplug it to prevent the compressor from overheating. Does the condenser fan get triggered to come on only after the compressor gets to a certain temp or does it run all the time the compressor is running?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Does the condenser fan get triggered to come on only after the compressor gets to a certain temp or does it run all the time the compressor is running?

Both components look to be on the same circuit in which case they should both run at exactly the same time. Maybe failure of the motor caused the board to fail in the first place?

This link is pertinent to this reply. It was supplied by this message author.

LINK > Kenmore 106.51173310 Condenser Fan Motor

decided to unplug it to prevent the compressor from overheating.

Good idea.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.