• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite 110.60982990 - likely board failure

DanKC

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi,
I have a Kenmore Elite model number 110.60982990 with the "have to hold down start button to keep the motor running" problem. I've followed the instructions on this thread, checking the VDC across the pink wires into the motor relay when the button is depressed and released. 0 VDC on that. Prior to coming to this board I bought a new motor relay and replaced that just in case. From what I've read, it looks like it must be the board not putting out the 48V to the relay.

The problem is, it's now 10 years later than the thread I referenced above, and that control board is no longer made. I've looked all over, finding a couple of potentially sketchy listings on Ebay and Amazon. The board is a
FSP 3976609 and the Sears Part # is 8546223.

My questions are these:
- should I test anything further to make sure that it really is the control board, or is the zero voltage to the motor relay result definitive as to the status of the board?
- Does anyone know where I might be able to find an old board like this online, even though all the obvious places say it's unavailable?
- Does anyone know what component usually fails on the board, and if it's something I could test and replace myself (cap, resistor, etc)? There's nothing obvious on the board like a swelled cap or burn mark.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dan,

Plug in and be careful please!!! turn timer to any run function and press start. You'll see the relay with two pink wires and two blue wires. First, check for approx. 48 Volts DC across those two pink wires. This means you have power coming out of the even heat control board. If you don't have 48 volts dc across the pinks, you have a bad even heat control board.

So yes, you'd need a new even heat control board, but like you mentioned its been discontinued for some time now, and I wouldn't order it on ebay or amazon if the listing looks sketchy.

Its best to save your repair money and buy a new dryer. You had a very good 20 year run with yours.:)

Jake