• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite 596 french door bottom freezer, freezer and fridge not cold

teebore

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello, I have a 5yr and 2 month (JUST out of extended warranty) Kenmore Elite fridge that has stopped working. Both the condenser and evaporator fans are running, the compressor "sounds" like it is running (slightly warm and vibrates a bit). I have removed the started relay and it doesnt make any rattling noises. The evap coil doesnt even get cold at all.

I have read on this forum (which is awesome by the way) that Amana (which Im assuming is my manufacturer?) has crappy compressors? If my compressor was shot, how can I test to confirm? I paid over 3k for this fridge (with extended warranty) and am not very warm on the idea of having to replace it ... yet.

I did phone Sears to see if they would honor the extended warranty even though its 2 months expired .... no go.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You put your hand on the top of your compressor and it was vibrating and warm? If so, then your compressor is running, but not pumping the freon through the sealed system properly to cool. Or you have leak in your sealed system, but thats very rare to happen.

2 months out of warranty is not much, I'd go to the Sears store where you bought it at and ask to talk with the Store manager and explain all this to him/her and just be firm but nice about it, and they will usually either give you a one time courtesy to extend the warranty since its only past by 2 months, or offer you a new refrigerator at their cost, which is usually half the price of a new one.

Jake

teebore

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake.

Y, I can definitely hear the compressor running, it is only slightly warm to the touch, mostly near the bottom. Is there any telltale signs of leakage? Or any test I can run to see if the compressor is kaput?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its hard to check for a freon leak without an electronic leak detector. Sometimes you may get lucky and see compressor oil coming out of one of the copper lines in the back.

Doing compressor or sealed system work like fixing a leak requires you to have a turbo torch, gas for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, the proper amount of R-134a(OR R12) to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

The EPA now requires you to have a license to even do this work now when dealing with freon, I got mine in 1994 when the law went into effect.

Jake

teebore

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Jake. So in the one scenario, say a leak, what would a typical cost be to repair? And if its the compressor? This isnt a cheap (cost anyway) fridge, so Im trying to figure out if its worth repairing if the Sears manager doesn't do anything for me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Cost of repair would be a little less if it just had a leak rather than replacing the compressor. But your still looking at about $200-$250 for a leak repair, that will go up to about $400-$450 if the compressor needs to be replaced.

Jake