• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite 665.12773K311 squealing on drain

txman

Premium Member
Model Number
665.12773K311
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a 3 year old Kenmore Elite I stopped working. When I start it it has a loud squealing noise It does it then stops and does it. Then gives up.

I did pull apart an check in-side. No issues with filters. even with out still makes noise from something under. I did a rinse only cycle. fills and rinses fine. Then when it drains it starts the squealing noise.
So I am not sure if it is the sump assembly or pump.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jason,

I'd first check and see if something like a foreign object was inside the drain pump causing that noise when it drains.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WPW10531320

Do you know how to access it?

Jake

txman

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for the reply.
I have the unit out but not sure how to open the drain pump to check if something is in it. I saw page describing this a while back, but can't find it again. How do I get the unit open to check to clean it out?

Thanks again,
Jason

txman

Premium Member
I don't see a tab to push to turn the lower section. I tried to push in as I turn. So how do I get the drain pump to release So I can look at it? The, if the pump is damaged can replace it. I appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Remove the hose and wires from the drain motor then "Twist" it counterclockwise, while pushing in the tab.

I found the video, look at around the 2:00 mark on the video and let it play: Dishwasher Replace Pump and Motor Assembly

Jake

txman

Premium Member
Ok we must be talking about different parts. This is for the drain motor. You told me it was likely the drain pump that was causing the noise. Second this looks nothing like the parts I have. Mine has no tab to push on the drain pump. I looked and looked. I wonder if they design it so it doesn't come back apart now. So you must replace it. You would know best. Now I have a new issue.

So I was trying to pull the drain pump off to clean it. I got it off, but the one hose that is connected to the main motor didn't want to move I tried everything. it finally came off, but now have a small hole in the hose that connects the pump to the drain motor (at least I think that is the drain motor. It should be. I will attach a picture. It is the item with a number 4 on it. The rubber hose that connects from that to the drain pump is what I need to replace, but it doesn't look like it can be. It looks like it built into the unit. Just like the drain pump. So if you want to replace one you have to replace all.

dishwasher.jpg
IMG_20170402_214301.jpg
Thanks,
Jason

txman

Premium Member
Here are the other pictures of the drain pump. More I look at it I think they built it all together. Way to go Kenmore, not so Elite!

IMG_20170403_211127.jpg
IMG_20170403_211105.jpg
IMG_20170403_211056.jpg

So what parts would I need, or do they have a replacement hose that connects the motor to the drain pump?

Thanks,
Jason

txman

Premium Member
I see it is a clasp on this model not a tab. I found a rubber garment on kenmore's site with diagrams.

txman

Premium Member
Ok, I found a piece of metal in the drain pump. I have attached a picture. I am not sure what it came from. But I am sure that is what was causing the drain pump to stop.

I did find a rubber garment that will connect the motor back to the assembly. If that metal was keeping the drain pump wheel from spinning it might have caused damage to the drain pump. I will replace that next if a problem is still present.

Do you know what the part might be from? Not sure if more internal damage in the motor assembly might be present.
IMG_20170403_220542.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jason,

That's the circulation pump, not drain pump, you mentioned in your first post it was making the noise in the drain cycle, that's why I posted the drain pump.:)

So, If during wash, then its likely a foreign object in the circulation pump motor assembly. Like a seed, or pit, etc...

Whirlpool WPW10314568 Circulaton-Pump

I have no clue what that piece you found in it is, sorry.

Jake

txman

Premium Member
It's ok. I figured it out. It either damaged the part or not. I will test and replace based on if it functions. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake