• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite 790.42800501 Error Code 30

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just use standard electrical tape.:)

Jake

zborgerd

Premium Member
I used 3m glass cloth electrical tape 27. Seems to match what they used and it is highly temperature resistant.

Regarding the hardware failure... This time, the same filter board failed, but it was for a totally different reason. One of the PCB fuses fried because two of the IGBTs on one of the generator boards failed and shorted out. I replaced the generator and the filter (again).

Note the huge heatsink on the back. This is for the IGBTs and generate the high voltage DC PWM to the induction "burners". When they fail, they short and draw more current than the supply (or circuit breaker) can handle. You can check the resistance between the emitter/collector and gate/collector with a meter. It should read roughly half a megohm. The failed parts had 0 resistance.

I'm going to try to repair the old board with new IGBTs, since they are so cheap, to have a backup. I'm also going to install a real 20 amp fuse on the old filter supply board and repair an inductor that appears to have been slightly burnt by the "fuse" burnout. This will at least give me spares since these boards are so expensive. Note the PCB fuses on the board in my previous post.

For other people with this problem, the failed IGBTs were IXYS Semiconductor IXGR40N60C2D1, with a date code of SP0717. This part is now discontinued. Their online reliability reports never list any parts with this date code.

The replacement board's IGBTs were IXYS Semiconductor IXGR48N60C3D1, with a date code of SP1121. This seems to be the current iteration of the same class of part.

Last edited:

zborgerd

Premium Member
I just wanted to add to this thread after discussing this same issue with other people that have experienced this problem. It's actually much cheaper, and likely more practical, to buy the entire housing assembly for the cooktop. This wasn't always the case when individual board prices were much lower. Now, the generator and filter boards have become over 2x as expensive as they were a few years ago. The 318329601 housing assembly is probably the more economical and easier choice. The entire assembly is almost always cheaper than the individual boards now!

Here is a link to an album where I describe some of the parts and the repair of these cooktops.

Cooktop

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Handoff

Hi Zborgerd - I was wondering if you ever did repair the old board on the induction cooktop with new IGBTs and got a working board? I'm having similar issues and was wondering that if you got things to work, if you had any tips and info doing that? (eg, what IGBTs did you use and the procedure you used to replace them). Thanks in advance

zborgerd

Premium Member
Hi Zborgerd - I was wondering if you ever did repair the old board on the induction cooktop with new IGBTs and got a working board? I'm having similar issues and was wondering that if you got things to work, if you had any tips and info doing that? (eg, what IGBTs did you use and the procedure you used to replace them). Thanks in advance
I have not yet, but planned to do it when I had some more available time. There was another fellow who emailed me about a year or two ago on this subject. He may have already taken up the task. I'll have to ask him how it went. In the interim, he replaced his cooktop (model with a fifth induction plate) with the entire set of guts, minus glass top and a few other things, rather than just replacing the generator and filter boards individually as I originally did. It appears to be way cheaper than individual boards. Maybe it was an oversight on my part, but I don't believe the entire chassis option was available when mine failed for the first time.

We did begin putting together a parts list, but I've not verified it.

I'll try to contact him to see if he can share his experience.

jengle

Premium Member
Hi Zborgerd - I just replaced a complete 318329601 housing assembly due to a error 30 problem....seemed simple enough but reinstalled and there is no power. Electricity to the terminal is fine. No reaction from the power button which worked fine prior to removal from counter-top. Did I miss something or did they change something along the way. Perhaps a DOA assembly but thought i'd check. Thanks!

jengle

Premium Member
Soluton

Hi Zborgerd - I just replaced a complete 318329601 housing assembly due to a error 30 problem....seemed simple enough but reinstalled and there is no power. Electricity to the terminal is fine. No reaction from the power button which worked fine prior to removal from counter-top. Did I miss something or did they change something along the way. Perhaps a DOA assembly but thought i'd check. Thanks!
When changing the whole assembly transfer the copper jumpers at the power terminal (where the power line 3 wires attach to the housing) from the old unit to the new assembly.

Aggiehouse

I have not yet, but planned to do it when I had some more available time. There was another fellow who emailed me about a year or two ago on this subject. He may have already taken up the task. I'll have to ask him how it went. In the interim, he replaced his cooktop (model with a fifth induction plate) with the entire set of guts, minus glass top and a few other things, rather than just replacing the generator and filter boards individually as I originally did. It appears to be way cheaper than individual boards. Maybe it was an oversight on my part, but I don't believe the entire chassis option was available when mine failed for the first time.

We did begin putting together a parts list, but I've not verified it.

I'll try to contact him to see if he can share his experience.
Zborgerd - Just wanted to say thanks. I have the same cooktop. Filter board got fried. I had to google what an IGBT chip was, but once I figured that out, realized I too had 2 chips fail. Going to try to get entire assembly board, but looks like it may be out of production now, we will see if it clears the backordered status.

Your knowledge helped me a lot, really appreciate it.