• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite 790.47893603 oven won't heat up

mhicks

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore elite model 790.47893603 built in electric oven. I used the self cleaning function on the oven the other day (it worked) and now my oven won't heat up.

I pulled the broiler element to test its conductivity and it read 14 Ohms (which seems OK, but I can't find any specs for the element).

Both the bake element (in the bottom of the oven) and the broiler don't heat up. The convection fan spins up fine. And I can hear a relay cycling when I tell it to pre-heat for baking.

I tested the voltage at the broiler leads and measured 103VAC which isn't 120VAC, but I don't know what it should read.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, The bake and broil elements need 240 volts to heat up properly.

It sounds like your thermal fuse maybe bad OR it may have just tripped, you may get lucky and just need to press the red reset button on it and see if that fixes it first.

If not, you can ohm test the thermal fuse in the back of the oven. Make sure you turn the breaker OFF first to your wall oven before accessing it and ohm testing it, also take both wires off of it first before ohm testing it.

It's located either on the top of the oven OR behind the back access panel in the very back.

You will likely need a helper to pull the wall oven out from the wall, it's very heavy.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order if needed:
Thermal Fuse 318004900

Do you have a multimeter?

Watch this video to ohm test it: Thermal Fuse Ohm Test Video

Let us know what you find.

Jake

mhicks

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. Do you have any videos/instructions on pulling the oven out of the cabinets? There's no obvious clips to press to release the oven.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your installation manual that came with it when it was brand new will tell you how it was installed, you do the reverse to uninstall it.

This is the only video I could locate:

Jake