• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite 795.74023.412 not cooling(LG compressor)

bacchus

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I realize the LG compressor issues are in play here.

My model has 2 evaporators in it..one in fridge and one in freezer.

Bought it in July of 2017 so right at 3 years. Everything seems to be running fine...fans inside and out and compressor is running. So tech comes out and he thinks its the compressor and replaces the compressor, dryer filter and the 3 way valve. He also updates the software on the board for the updated compressor from LG. He admitted to having the same fridge at home as a project fridge that he can't figure out. So 487 dollars later he replaces the above and it still is doing the same thing. I called him this morning and he said he wouldn't know what else to do to fix it and to buy another fridge.

My question to the forum is what is the fix for this model? I hear chatter about the aluminum condenser being the issue and needing replacement to the steel one and to flush with solvent and dry nitro. He did not flush the system and when asked he said his department recommends not to flush on compressor change. I have heard of some folks cutting open the cabinet too and up sizing the capillary tubing a little. I mean why hasn't LG issued a service bulletin as to how to fix the issue to techs.

This is insane...This should be fixable. Heck i will fix it if someone just tells me what actually needs replacing! I can get the torches ,vacuums, gauges etc i need to fix. Has anyone successfully got my model back up and running after a compressor change?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, so the tech stole $487 dollars from you and has the nerve to tell you to go buy a new refrigerator? Really?

You need to contact your State Attorney General and file a claim on him, he just commited a crime my friend.

Jake

bacchus

Premium Member
I'm in the process of getting a refund now on the labor. To be fair he told me he couldn't guarantee a compressor swap was going to work since he has the same fridge and can't seem to figure it out.
Surely someone has these things figured out?

bacchus

Premium Member
Seeing someone with a similar fridge in another thread...tech figured out the cap tubes were clogged. I could see that...they are small. I mean there is no way i will get Sears to keep coming out to try different things to this fridge for free. I'm at a loss as what to do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Was the tech a AUTHORIZED LG sent from LG?

If so, then he has to guarantee the work he does or LG will have to supply you with a new refrigerator.

We don't teach sealed system repair here, you will need to find another forum for that.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Jake

bacchus

Premium Member
I'm not sure if he was authorized LG tech. It is a Kenmore product so LG said it's on Sears. Probably going to buy another fridge and fix this one myself. I'm pretty sure the tech could fix it too if he was willing to try different things...but i don't think my local sears has great techs. I will never shop at sears or buy LG or Kenmore anything again. I hope they all go out of business. I think that is my only option at this point. Insane. Our best local family owned appliance shop in town known for superior service won't touch LG or kenmore products either. That probably tells me something right there.

bacchus

Premium Member
Ok we will probably get a new fridge here soon. Any opinions if i should keep this one for a project? The compressor is brand new, the dryer filter and the 3 way valve. The refrigerator section gets intermittently cold at 37 but i'll catch it around 55 sometimes too. The freezer section isn't cooling at all and stays about 75. I believe i can get everything i need to work on the sealed system. The question what do i try to fix it? Flush the system then recharge? Its gotta have a little blockage somewhere. I tapped the old dryer filter out and do get some "rust" looking particles out of it. The capillary tubes are tiny...maybe they are clogged...any suggestions if this is worth it and what would be the first things to do/try? I enjoy tinkering and if i can get it working thats a bonus. Thanks!

Chad1

Premium Member
Hey, I’m dealing with the same issue with my kenmore fridge right meow. What did you end up doing with yours?

Ok we will probably get a new fridge here soon. Any opinions if i should keep this one for a project? The compressor is brand new, the dryer filter and the 3 way valve. The refrigerator section gets intermittently cold at 37 but i'll catch it around 55 sometimes too. The freezer section isn't cooling at all and stays about 75. I believe i can get everything i need to work on the sealed system. The question what do i try to fix it? Flush the system then recharge? Its gotta have a little blockage somewhere. I tapped the old dryer filter out and do get some "rust" looking particles out of it. The capillary tubes are tiny...maybe they are clogged...any suggestions if this is worth it and what would be the first things to do/try? I enjoy tinkering and if i can get it working thats a bonus. Thanks!
This exact