Kenmore Elite 796.91472210 Dryer starts running when door closed

Larryr20

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Dryer starts running when door closed. No buttons necessary to start. Only way to stop it is open the door. Front load.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Larry,

That usually indicates the start button on the user interface board has stuck closed. What happens when you press POWER while the dryer is running?

Here's the user interface board for your model:
Display Board EBR74783101

Jake

Larryr20

Premium Member
Interesting in that the board works just like it should independent of the running drum. Power turns it on, you can select all functions, hit start, pause, etc. Its just when you close the door at any time, it starts to turn (no heat or air, just turn). If I open the door it stops and if I pull the plug. If I have it closed when I pull the plug it starts turning when I plug it back in. It has a mind of own!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Larry,

One way to tell if the problem is in the user interface or main control board is to unplug the user interface connector from the control board, then if it still turns on when you close the door then we know it CAN'T be the user interface, and IT CAN ONLY be the main control board that's bad and causing this problem.:)

Here's the main control board for your model: Pcb assembly,main EBR62707654

Jake

Larryr20

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, strangely enough, i unplugged it for a while and when I plugged it back in, it now works normally! I will keep an eye on it and if it does it again, I will try your test. Thanks all!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Larry, sounds good, yes keep your eye on it, you know the saying "If it happens once, It will happen again".:)

If it doesn't happen again, then your good to go.:)

Jake