• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Calypso Top Loading Washer

basicbleu

Premium Member
My washing machine stopped after filling and won't wash, drain or spin. All it does is flash an Ld error message. I can't find my owner's manual - of course. Can you help me with this?

basicbleu

Premium Member
LD message

Thanks Jeff,
Now that I know it's the 'Long Drain' what the heck do I do about it? I did order the manual, but in the mean time... Could this problem have occurred because the washer was moved? I've just had some remodelling done in the laundry room area and the washer & dryer had to be moved. I have used it since then though. Any suggestions?
Ingrid

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Ld flashes if it takes longer than 5 minutes to pump out water to a point where the operating pressure switch resets.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.

Check for kinked drain hose, bad drain pump, drain pump entrance clogged/restricted ( coin/lint/ect ), pressure switch hose clogged....places to start.

jeff.

jsmew

I have had the "Ld" message. How did you fix your problem. It would really help me.

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
these models were known for pump issues. A pump motor/pump revision was released and costs around $90. Make sure you're using HE detergent!

Bambiblaster

Appliance Tech
Also need to check the sump in the rear of tub with flash light... (for objects blocking the check balls.. I have gotten in the habit now to check the sump every time I go for just the annual check up... you would not believe the amount of bra wires you can find in there..

Superbeast

Premium Member
Greetings everyone! :3:

SORRY THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG!

I bought my wife one of these Calypso washer and dryer packages too. :mad: The dryer seems to be fine, but the washer is the biggest POS going.

The washer has similar issues as this post. I believe we've had it since 2002. It was fixed a bunch of times by service and extended service plans. Recently, it kept coming up with the LD code. I took half the machine apart to get to the pump. It had a couple bra underwires, some lint and a string of some crud wrapped around the pump shaft. I went out and bought the new style pump and replaced it. It worked well for about 2 weeks. Then it started all over again. We unplugged the thing and let it sit for a day or two and plugged it back in. We did a load of Jeans on the "Jeans" setting and it worked fine. Then we did a load of whites on the "Brite wight" setting and it stopped and would not drain. Long story shorter, we found as long as we used the jean setting it would work fine. Well that lasted for about 2 months. Now same old crap. Unplug it and wait a day or two and it will work fine for a load or two and then come up with either LD, FL Or SL code and stop working.

I've read through this entire forum about all Calypso problems and this is the closest posting I found. I've seen this plastic tank with the check balls. How do I tell if it is clogged, you can barely see in it with a million candlepower spot light? Also if it is clogged, how do you get the unit out of the machine, and /or how do you unclog it? Is there any other part that can be clogged or causing this problem?

I have removed both of the pump hoses and the drain hose completely and made sure they were clear.

Thank you, in advance for any help you can give me on this issue.

Last edited:

KevinA

Appliance Tech
First thing I would do is remove the torx screws holding the housing on the pump, being careful not to damage the rubber seal. Seems a bunch of crap can just sit there inert until it works it's way through your lines.
I've used a small coat hanger with a small tip to fish out larger debris from that holding reservoir. Never know what you may find.
On the drain hose portion is a checkvalve built into the hose. Check it for restrictions or debris as well.
Post back and let us know what you find, so we can help you dig deeper if necessary.
A question: How much space/clearance do you have for the gray rubber seal on the washplate and the inner tub? Missing any small socks or anything?

Superbeast

Premium Member
Honestly I need to pull the machine apart again. The pump has about 10 washings on it since replacing. I don't doubt that the thing can be clogged up again, because I could not see into the tank. I checked the check valve when the problem first occured, found a penny (it wasn't good luck).

Then the pump was replaced. I'm not sure about the wash plate, but last I remember it seemed to be pretty snug.

Had a retirement party tonight for a coworker and a wake to go to tomorrow, but will start tearing the machine apart again on thursday and report back.

Thanx so far.

Ken

Superbeast

Premium Member
Well After an hour of trying to get this thing to drain I finally pulled the plug, drain hose and the pump hoses off. It dumped about 3 gallons of water on the floor.

So, anyway, I tore the back panel off and layed the machine on its front and got out the 10 million candlepower flashlight and ....TaDa! Found another underwire and a wad of crud about the size of a small rodent. I tried for 30 plus minutes to get the rodent dislodged from it miniscule crevase with the old coat hanger trick, but alas, the little varmint wont budge.

So, now the big question, is there any way to get inside this huge plastic tank to remove the critter from the inside? I removed the cap from the agrivator. I know what it is called, but if you've ever owned one of these things, you'll understand.

What next? Grenade? Dynamite? Torch?

Thanx again in advance!!!!

davevon

Premium Member
won't spin

Machine stopped spinning. I found the broken belt and replaced and it still doesn't spin. Any ideas? Thanks

davevon

Premium Member
Won't spin

Ok. Here is the model no. 110.24086200. I took the bottom plate off again and the new belt is broke. Obviously something causing it to break.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, never run into this issue your having before.

Here's the repair manual you can download/print and go to the troubleshooting section and see if you can find whats going on:
REPAIR MANUAL

These calypso's are harder than most to diagnose with a issue like this, but here is a link that you can look at about these:
http://www.applianceaid.com/calypso.html

I would recommend contacting Sears to have a tech. come out to repair this for you if no one else here knows why this is happening.

Jake