Kenmore Elite calypso/ your advise please

Jeff/FLA

I have a kenmore elite calypso 4 yrs old. already replaced drain pump/ motor 6 months ago; have learned that this a "throw away" prototype made by maytag and the subject of a class action lawsuit, which unfortunately I have no benefit from.

Now the unit won't power up and I believe that the defect is the control board; do you feel I should continue to throw money into this unit or drop it in Tampa bay for grouper to inhabit.

Could you share with me the cost of a control board and/or what model you would recommend for longevity , energy and water efficiency, if my best option would be replacement.

Thanks so much for your time and expertise.
Jeff in Florida

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
These Calypso's have had many problems, I wouldn't continue to keep putting money into it, its better to just get a new washer, preferably a front loader, then buy the extended warranty on it for at least 3 or 5 yrs.

This washer is made by Whirlpool, but Maytag has had a issue with their old neptunes from back in the late 1990's.

Jake

jersey boy

Premium Member
according to the lawsuit,anyone who purchased the calypso before oct. 2004 is covered under the class action lawsuit..if this is the case for you, you should receive a letter in the mail from whirlpool explaining the situation.you will be offered eiher cash or a replacement washing machine.
ckeck out calypsoproblems.com for some info...
and by all means,dont spend another dime on that thing:D

ropnwidow

Premium Member
cant locate web site you refer too

you posted to check out this website calypsoproblems.com, I got nothing, unable to locate web site. My unit does qualify for the class action suit, soif youhave any other information i would apperciate it.