• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Dead Start Relay?

Mike100

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi folks, our Kenmore Elite fridge (model 795.78553800) stopped cooling and started clicking and after reading other forums I found information on the start relay being a likely cause. I ordered a new start relay from sears parts direct and what I received looks much different than what was in there.

What was attached to the 3 prongs was a start relay, an overload and a capacitor in a single unit with only 2 wires attached (blue and black). They sent just a start relay and said that this had replaced the old version of the relay with the capacitor. The new relay is a 6749C-0014E (replaces 6748C-004D). It has just 2 holes for prongs and 2 blades for the attachment of the wires. It did not come with wires or a wire harness. I can take the old wires off the old relay with no problem. As I mentioned they are blue and black, but I don't know which side of the new relay these should go on. I also was concerned about not having an overload for the third prong. So far I have only had the opportunity talk to folks from the parts depart at sears direct, not technical experts.

My questions are...

Is this the correct part?
Can it function without an overload?
Which blades do the blue and black wires go on if this is the correct part?

Sorry, there were no instructions included with the start relay, I thought I would be getting something that look like what I took out. Thanks in advance for your advice and your patience.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Does the original one look more like this one...

Relay-and-Overload-Kit-EBG44308702--01306066.jpg Overload and PTC assembly with capacitor

The one Sears sent is the only replacement for the original one shown on the parts breakdown...but still needs the capacitor, over load and some wiring changes :(

jeff.

Mike100

Premium Member
Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick response!

The original does look like that except the ground wire is not attached to the wiring harness.

Can you point me to something that shows the mods that are necessary? Sounds like I might need to order some more parts as well since I am not sure which part of the assembly is gone.

Really appreciate your advice.

Mike

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Can you point me to something that shows the mods that are necessary?

I didn't find anything for the DIY'er....might be best to call someone in to check it out and possibly rewire new relay, overload and capacitor.

jeff.