• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Dishwasher 665.13183K802, basin fills, heats up, but wash arms never move, then drains

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrunkMunki

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13183K802
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Greetings everyone,

I have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher model 665.13183K802 that used to work great but now never actually starts the wash cycle. We usually run the washer in the middle of the night, but have noticed that in the morning our dishes were still dirty and not even wet at all although the soap dispenser releases the soap and the basin is wet.

The troubleshooting I've done so far:
  1. I just checked the float switch and it moves freely, I can hear the suttle click and it's very clean underneath.
  2. I disconnected the power to the dishwasher and took the connector off the water valve, tested continuity across the valve terminals and it read just over 1000 ohms. I also tested the voltage at the wire harness after starting a cycle and it read 13.86 VAC. There was also this sound: https://sndup.net/38n5
  3. Removed supply hose from valve and flow was strong. Ran another cycle trying to pay more attention to what is happening and opened the door during the cycle and can see the basin filling. After a while, water was sitting at the bottom, float valve is up, can be tapped down and it bounces back up. Wash arms never moved, drain cycle eventually starts and successfully drains basin.

Based on stuff I've read here, it seems maybe the pump motor has failed and needs to be replaced. Can anyone please provide some insight?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, It's most likely a bad wash motor, this has become a common problem as of late, many members here have reported the same. In fact I had 2 in Sept. 2018 in Parker, Arizona that did the exact same thing, and the new wash motor fixed them both.:)

Look at post #7 here: FIXED 665.13472N411 What to check on why it only washes about 5% of the cycle.

I'd first check to see if your getting 120 volts to the wash motor when it should be in the wash cycle.

Take the wire connector off the wash motor and use a multimeter to see if yours is getting 120 volts when it should be washing, if so and it's not running order the wash motor below.

dishwash120volts.jpg

Here is the wash motor assembly you can order:
WPW10234567 PUMP&MOTOR

Let us know what you find.

Jake

TrunkMunki

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for your help. I should've checked the voltage to the power adapter when I had the dishwasher pulled out; not sure I can reach the power supply to the motor now that it's back in. Weird thing happened last night after I had checked everything else. I ran a cycle to listen to the sounds and everything worked again, basin filled, arms moved, and basin drained. But reading that post you sent, it seems like "occasionally working" is still a symptom of dying or bad motor.

Do you know what the motor part number is alone instead of replacing the entire assembly?

Thanks,

TrunkMunki

Premium Member
I think I found the motor part alone, W11179305, but it's still around $250 and is also on backorder. The pump and motor assembly is $325 or about the third the cost of a new dishwasher.

If I were to buy a new dishwasher, one with a third rack, is Maytag still your top choice and how does it compare to Bosch which people seem to like as well?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On your model they don't sell the wash motor separately, When you click the link to that wash motor alone you will see a Appliance Compatibility Tool and if you put your model number in it says Not Compatible.

If I were to buy a new dishwasher, one with a third rack, is Maytag still your top choice and how does it compare to Bosch which people seem to like as well?
Yes, Maytag is my top choice. I don't know how it compares to Bosch, I've never had training or worked on Bosch appliances.

Jake

TrunkMunki

Premium Member
Jake,

I found the pump and motor assembly new on ebay (seems to be special order/backorder everywhere else), ordered it, installed it and the dishwashwer is working great again.

Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new pump and motor assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.