• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Dishwasher 665.13973K017 won't run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brierley

Premium Member
Model Number
665.13973K017
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi there, my Kenmore dishwasher won't run. It's saying because of the float switch. If i open the dishwasher and tell it run again it does try to do a cycle. It isn't getting any water but it sounds like it's trying to get water.

Here is what i have done.
1. Checked the door latch continuity (Ohms) when closed and it is saying 0.00 (I think that's good?)
2. Cleaned the float and checked the float switch continuity (Ohms) and it's saying 0.00 (I think that's good?)
3. Removed the water supply and checked it and it's fine.
4. Checked the filter on the water inlet valve and it's clean.
5. Tested the water inlet valve and I'm getting (1064 Ohms).
6. I tested the power supply coming to the water inlet valve (when the dishwasher is trying to do a cycle) and I'm getting less than 4 volts a/c. I think this should be 120 volts a/c? But when should it receive this?

I did notice one time when i tried to run the dishwasher that the door vent was running, right at the beginning of the cycle. Is this normal?
I have looked at the circuit board and it looks clean/no black/burnt areas.

I'd be glad of any advice.
Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The water inlet valve should be getting 120 volts when you start a new cycle to fill with water. What I do is remove the electrical connector to the fill valve and put my meter probes in the two terminals of the water inlet valve electrical connector and start the dishwasher and watch my meter for 120 volts.

Now, this model has the problematic door vent, that can also cause all these problems you are having, including the vent running at the beginning of the cycle.

Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for the response. I have tried disconnecting the door vent and it still doesn't seem to be right. It isn't allowing water into the dishwasher. I noticed some signs of leaking further back under the dishwasher so i pulled the dishwasher out and it's coming from the diverter motor. Could a bad seal/diverter motor cause all this issue? I did a reset on the dishwasher (Pressing 3 buttons 3 times in a row) and after that i got the code F9E1 which is the diverter motor. I'm going to replace the diverter motor & seal anyhow as it seems that it needs it. Be glad of your thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes you will definitely need to replace the sump and diverter motor if you are seeing it leak water there.

Here's the sump assembly for your model you can order:
W10168822 Sump Housing

This video should be similar to your model on how to replace it:

Here's the diverter motor for your model:
W10155344 Diverter Motor

There is a video in the diverter motor part link that shows you how to replace it.

Could a bad seal/diverter motor cause all this issue?
I wouldn't think so, I've never run across that before on my service calls.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
Hi Jake, I haven't replaced the sump assembly or the diverter motor yet but I'm wondering if the timer is the issue? Is there a way to electrically test the timer?

Many Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board W10473199

Your model does not use a timer, it has a control board. I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, you can check the F9 fuse on the control board. Make sure you disconnect power to the dishwasher below ohm testing that fuse.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10321874 - Rev B.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

Brierley

Premium Member
Thanks, I have checked the fuse and it's got 0 ohms which i think is good. Are there any other things i should check on the circuit board? Like where the power is sent to the water inlet valve?
Thank-you! I appreciate the assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Remove the electrical connector to the water inlet valve and put your meter probes in each hole of the electrical connector, then start the dishwasher and watch for 120 volts on your meter.

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
Hi Jake, so i have replaced the sump seal and diverter motor and still having the issue. It was leaking around the diverter motor previously so that needed done anyway.
I tested the power (A/C) going to the water inlet valve and I'm getting less than 1 volt. My suspicion is that the circuit board is toast?

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check the tub float, The tub float is inside the tub, move it up and down and you should hear it click each time you move it up and down.

If you don't hear the click sound when moving the tub float up and down, check your float switch.

Here's the float switch for your model, when you click the link to it you will see 2 videos, 1 on how to access it, 1 on how to ohm test it:

Disconnect power to the dishwasher before ohm testing it.

If your float is working properly and your float switch ohms good, then yes the control board is the culprit.

Here's the control board for your model:
Main Control Board W10473199

RepairClinic ships to Canada: Main Control Board W10473199

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I replaced the circuit board and I'm still getting the same problem. I tried running the dishwasher with the door vent unplugged and didn't change anything. The float switch checks out ok. The dishwasher is saying to it can't run due to float switch. Not sure where to go from here?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, that new control board should of fixed it.

Well, you have a underlying problem that you will need a tech. to come out and look at to see what's going on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, unless its not draining properly.

Does it drain the water every time? Any water left over in the tub when the cycle is over? Or when you start a new cycle?

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
It isn't even filling up with water at the start of a cycle. When i start a cycle and close the door it beeps & flashes and the door vent starts. Then i open the door and it comes up with the message "Cannot fill due to float". I open the door and press the start button after that, and i can get it to start a cycle. At the start of the cycle it make one click sound. Then i can hear what sounds like a motor very quietly (possibly the diverter motor). Then it sounds like it's trying to fill the dishwasher with water but no water goes into the dishwasher. It might be worth noting that when the cycle is going, the display on the front of the dishwasher is stating it's on "drying".
I have put water into the dishwasher manually and closed the door and hit the cancel/drain button and it has drained the water fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then I don't know what's going on, this is a very UNCOMMON problem, you will need a local tech to come out.

Another member had this same problem back in 2016 and he disconnected the vent wires and the dishwasher started working, look here:

Also look here:

Jake

Brierley

Premium Member
Hi Jake, I found the issue. One of the brown wires that goes to the float switch had melted/burnt through where it goes up the front of the dishwasher. I rejoined it and it seems to be fine!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @Brierley , good job finding that float switch wire was the issue.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.