• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Dishwasher

moveebuff

Premium Member
imported post

The last dishwasher I had (Asko) died and I read on consumers reports that the Kenmore Elite is rated very highly. After using it for about a month, all my glasses were etched and cloudy and my silverware was filmy looking.

I thought I got a lemon and asked for a replacement. I've had the replacement for 2 months and I am having the same problem.

The stainless steel door is shiny clean right under the dispensers but the rest of the door is cloudy and filmy just like my cutlary.

Sears is sending a senior technician on Friday. I am not happy at all

When I opened my Asko dishwasher, the door would glisten clean just like the glasses and cutlary. The dishes were squeeky clean.

The bad news was that after 7 years it just stopped working and it was just too expensive to service.:(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

I used to see the problem you are describing when i lived in Texas and Arizona, where the water is very hard. Here in Oregon, the water is very soft and its very rare that i see that problem at all here.

Jeff has a website that will help you to determine if its hard water or something else.

Link>[url]http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#filming[/url]

Hope that helps abit.:cool:

Jake

moveebuff

Premium Member
imported post

In our case, water hardness is not the problem. My Asko made the glasses and cutlary sparkle. It was removed and the Kenmore Elite replaced it. I think it has to do with the rinse aid not being dispursed throughout the entire dishwasher and also the "self cleaning" filter is not all it's cracked up to be. After 2 months of use, there was so much gung accumulated. I'd rather have a self cleaning filter so I can see if there is any build up and then clean it without having to take the whole bottom of the dishwasher apart.

And FYI, I take all food particles off the plates but I do not want to have to rinse the plates as suggested by the Kenmore technician. (The manual states that you do not need to "rinse" plates before putting them in the dishwasher).

What's the point of having a turbo zone for "baked on" food if it can't handle non-rinsed dishes?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

moveebuff wrote:
all my glasses were etched
There is nothing I know of in a dishwasher itself which can cause glassware to become etched. Etching can be cause by pre-rinsing (removing all food mater) from plates, etc. before washing so the detergent has nothing to work on, using too much detergent for water conditions (hardness, temperature, etc.), water temperature too high or using an extended cycle (like post and pans) when only a light cycle (eg. a china cycle) is needed.

In our case, water hardness is not the problem. My Asko made the glasses and cutlery sparkle.
Are you still using the same amount of detergent? Most newer dishwashers use considerably less water than older models did which would likely require a change in the amount of detergent used.

BTW. "Etching" is not reversible. Once glassware is etched, it is etched for life.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~