• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite double oven electric range 790.98023800 E014- did I fix it?

Jpelli73

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi all-

First time poster here looking for some info on my Kenmore Elite double oven electric range, model number 790.98023800. Maybe 10-12 years old and hasn't given us a lick of trouble except for one segment of the LED display flickering over the last year or so.

Was cooking a turkey this weekend, lower oven, 325 convection. About 3 hours into the cook, oven started beeping and throwing a E014 error code- it's never done this before. After shutting off the breaker and letting the oven cool off for 30 mins or so, I was able to turn power back on and get normal function of the cooktop (to finish dinner). Some internet sleuthing suggests that the failure is caused by loose ribbon connector between two boards in the upper control panel area- maybe the "display board" and the "User interface board"? I pulled the back cover, checked all the ribbon cable connections, wiggled them a little, and everything felt pretty solid. Fired up the range again and over the last couple of days I've put the top oven, bottom oven, and cooktop burners through some cycles at various temps and everything appears to be working.

Did I "fix" the problem? The lady of the house is a little freaked out because Xmas- and heavy use of the range- is coming. Is this failure likely to repeat itself? Can I cover myself by just buying a display board ($230) and a UIB ($110) and hanging onto them just in case it's a slowly failing board and not a loose connector that was causing the problem? Or should I just say the heck with it and buy a whole new range? (Note that last one is problematic in the short term as all the ones we like are backordered till at least January due to supply chain snafus).

Looking for advice from the pros- what are my best odds of making it through the Xmas cooking-baking season intact?

Thanks!
John P

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Jpelli73 said:
Did I "fix" the problem? Is this failure likely to repeat itself?

It might have just been steam had gotten into the connection temporarily. Maybe your wiggling made a slightly loose connection tight again? Whether it will repeat or not, I don't think anyone can tell you. All I can suggest is keep trying and keep an eye on it.

Jpelli73 said:
Can I cover myself by just buying a display board ($230) and a UIB ($110) and hanging onto them just in case it's a slowly failing board and not a loose connector that was causing the problem?

I don't know what parts you looked up but I looked up the control panel for your model and IF it is available it is listed for almost $2,000 but I suspect it is really discontinued and NLA.

LINK > 790.98023800 Control Panel # 5303935298

The electronic control is in the area you quoted and in stock at this vendor. They do have a return policy that allows returns if not installed.

LINK > Electronic Control # 316576300

Jpelli73 said:
Or should I just say the heck with it and buy a whole new range?

I wouldn't suggest it be replaced until there is a definite or repeating problem. It might have been a one time thing.

JMO

Dan O.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Reseat these keytail connectors and check the pins for any corrosion. Make sure the pins are not bent.
790.980-Touch Panel.jpg

790.980-ESEC-UI.jpg

Like Dan said, The touch panel is no longer available. The ESEC-UI board shows no longer available on one site and back ordered on two other sites which usually means discontinued.

Jpelli73

Premium Member
Thanks for the great advice! Curious as to whether this is a common failure or just a weird one-off... hoping for the latter!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't say it's common or a one time thing. It's more a wait and see.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.