• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Dryer 592-895090 + Starts then shuts off - LED panel flickers beforte it shuts off

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Model Number
592-895090
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My Kenmore Elite dryer had issues shutting off earlier than cycle end. I thought was the thermistor, and got a kit changing all 5 parts, high temp, moisture sensor - all including element ... problem remains.
Symptoms: Starting dryer normally, after 2-3 minutes shuts off. Does NOT do it all the time. Some times it works just fine and finishes any cycle as if new! Lint has been removed, motor is not running hot.
Curious about the LED panel digits that go dimming up and down before dryer shuts off.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply!
Here's the model number. We are in Toronto, ON Canada. Bought at Sears Canada about 10 years ago. Awesome machines (dryer and washer) and would like to preserve them as much as I can. These models were the top consumer line (I was told) before commercial machines. Hope you'll find the end of it and advice...

Attachments

• 20201027_190323.jpg
    20201027_190323.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
That model was made for Sears Canada by Samsung. I don't know where you'd get service information on it. I do not have any personal experience with that model.

Bob Sachsen said:
had issues shutting off earlier than cycle end

What exactly do you mean by that? The dryer just stops running, the control resets to standby mode or maybe the display and all lights just go dark??

Bob Sachsen said:
Curious about the LED panel digits that go dimming up and down before dryer shuts off.

I can't think of anything on a dryer that would cause that besides a problem in the control itself.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Hello Dan, I am sorry for the delay... What I mean by dryer shutting down is all powers off. There's no overly high temperature in the drum, just not enough temperature, I guess. Also, curious as when I start a given cycle, if the LED panel (I mean the display that shows time etc.), starts flickering (as if power is bleeding and LEDs dimming), then goes back up again, I know that the dryer will power off at some point before the clothes done drying. Wonder if this is a motor replay or slow blowing fuse somewhere in the dryer?

Bob

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Bob Sachsen said:
Wonder if this is a motor replay or slow blowing fuse somewhere in the dryer?

A motor relay would affect the motor, hence its name. It would not usually affect anything else.

Once a fuse blows it stops the power, dead. That's its purpose. That power will never flow again until the fuse is replaced.

Bob Sachsen said:
What I mean by dryer shutting down is all powers off

If the control panel is dark, someone would need to confirm is power was getting to it. Power there but the control not lighting up would point to a problem in the control itself.

If power wasn't even getting to the control, that power supply would have to be traced to see where the stoppage occurred.

Dan O.

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Thanks Dan. On the fuse, silly of me... was thinking of slow blow fuse that is bad....
On the panel losing power: This is a non issue as when I find the dryer off and I press the power button ON, everything is back to normal. No error codes or anything out of the ordinary. I start the dryer again, and get this: Sometimes it completes the cycle that time. Other times, I need 1-2 days of a pause to get it going. More and more I think of it seems like a control board (sigh), that's why I want to make sure before I order this expensive part.

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
... and there is a power supply in the dryer? Thought that the control board had the transformer on it ?

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
... maybe I have a bad connection from the power supply to the control board (loose cable, etc.). Than can explain LOTS...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Bob Sachsen said:
maybe I have a bad connection from the power supply to the control board

That's what testing for power at the control would possibly determine. Then at least you know if the problem is in the control itself or elsewhere. That test has to be performed when the problem is occurring, obv.

As I said I do not have any experience with Samsung manufactured dryers and have no access to service information so I'm unlikely to be able to help diagnose it any further.

Good Luck!

Dan O.

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Dan, thank you for your information and helping hand. Will advise once I pinpoint the issue so you can have some background for the next Canadian knocking at your door.
Thanks again.
Bob

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
Thanks again Dan. I found some common issues with control boards (channels wear and tear due to brownouts) and will investigate. Of course, the board is flooded with epoxy to prevent us from replacing a small part (relay etc.) and buying instead the entire board. Will send an update when able.

Attachments

• 20200920_111346.jpg
    20200920_111346.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 20

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
After few weeks monitoring the dryer, I see no more unexpected shut-offs. No error codes either (as I never had them in the first place).
One thing came to mind that if the mains (city power) is taxed too much, maybe the brown-out (if long enough) will cause the dryer to shutoff. I re-plugged the dryer sevreal times and turned off and on several times the dryer breaker in the panel, just in case the contacts got dirty.
Will monitor for another month and if no more ncidents, I'll declare victory....

k4kishore

Premium Member
Hello Bob,

you are the one who can understand problem of my dryer. your and my scenario are exact same. Can you guide me what can I do? it works completely find till I put Jean into it and it gives FE error. I have to restart the dryer and it runs for 2 to 4 min and stops with FE error again. I remove the Jean and restart again and it works just fine.

Bob Sachsen

Premium Member
k4kishore: Not sure if I understand correctly your message... You say that your problem matches mine exactly... However, I have never mentioned that I had error codes. My issue turned to be with the city grid where the draw was causing a drop on power (form the city mains) and the dryer was twiddling to the point it was turning itself off. As far as the code you got, please re-read the posts in this thread and others to find a suitable solution.
Cheers, Bob

k4kishore

Premium Member
sorry, my bad, yes you are right, mine works for light loads without any problem but as soon as i put jean or towel, it runs for 2 to 4 min and stops with FE error. I restart the machine, it runs 2 to 4 min and stops with FE error. I remove jean and towel and restart the machine and it complete the cycle so not sure what is causing this problem. Can some one help?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
@k4kishore please start your own message thread and include all your details, including your machine's exact model number, and someone will try to help... if they can.

Dan O.