FIXED Kenmore Elite dryer - Won't stay running, 3 quick beeps and it all turns off

jaxxed

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hey,

I've got a 2-3 year old Kenmore Elite (110.63942101) that has a problem that seems to be a common complaint on the web.

After loading the dryer, it runs, heats up and seems normal for 2-5 minutes. Then I get 3 quick beeps and it all turns off. Trying to re-start it results in 3 quick beeps and the dryer running as long as you hold the start button.

During these episodes, the timer is advancing far faster than normal. There are occasions (rare)where it will actually run on its own and almost completely dry a load. Most of the time it's a matter of baby-sitting it and re-starting it every 3 or 4 minutes by un-plugging it, and plugging it back in and trying it again. The lint trap area has been cleaned well, there appear to be no venting problems and everything is otherwise normal.

As I've said, this problem is similar to many I've read, but have seen no solution posted. I'm resigned to calling a repair shop as my skin is getting wrinkled from walking around in wet clothes. I just want to be a little educated as to what I can expect to hear from the service tech and general costs involved here - or is this something I could repair/replace on my own.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

**I've got a 2-3 year old Kenmore Elite (110.63942101)**

Eeeeek....an even heat dryer :(

**After loading the dryer, it runs, heats up and seems normal for 2-5 minutes. Then I get 3 quick beeps and it all turns off**

A bad temp thermistor may do that. Your dryer will have a tech sheet inside the consol to do some tests and checks, if it is missing this one may help....

http://www.applianceaid.com/evenheat.html

Thermistor control for dryer

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Your welcome!

If you get a chance, let us know what you see/find.

jeff.

jaxxed

Premium Member
Ordered thermistor today.

I'll post back in a few days after I install it.

jaxxed

Premium Member
Jeff....

Got the new thermistor and installed it this morning. It did the trick. The machine works well.

Thanks so much for the help.

~Jack

jeff1

Staff member
Glad to hear that :)

Thankx for the update!

jeff.

slangevin

Premium Member
Jeff

Jack's problem describes my problem exactly; however, it occurs regardless of whether I am in moisture dry or timed dry mode. Will a bad thermister cause this problem even in the timed dry mode?

Thanks

Steve

jeff1

Staff member
It might.....a copy from your other posting....

Hi,

**The dryer would stop in the middle of the cycle. Pushing the start button would restart the dryer. But it would sometimes stop again.**

Any beeps when the dryer would stop? Have heard of the temp thermistor being messed up causing intermittant running issues. Have also heard some mention 3 beeps when the dryer shuts off, which may indicate an thermistor issue as well.

Thermistor control for dryer

Motor relay, motor may be the next 2 suspects.

**Jake, It sounds like you are familiar with these problems**

While he is probably more familiar with these than I.....just had to add my 43 cents worth ( cruddy Canadian dollar ).

jeff.

slangevin

Premium Member
Jeff

Yes, it beeps when it stops. I haven't really paid attention to the number of beeps. It sounds more or less like the end of cycle beep. But now that I think about it, I think it is 3 beeps, and perhaps that is different from the end of cycle beep.

Steve

jeff1

Staff member
A copy....may or may not pertain to yours....

Thermistor Test or Dryer Beeps 3 Times When PTS Pressed

An electronic temperature sensor called a thermistor is used in this model in place of an operating thermostat. The Even Heat control monitors the exhaust temperature using the thermistor and cycles the heather relay on and off to maintain the desired temperature

Procedure

Begin with an empty dryer and a clean lint screen.

1. Set the following configuration:

Timer Dial- TIMED DRY

Fabric Care/Temperature switch- COTTON HIGH

Wrinkle Guard switch- OFF

Signal switch- LOUD

Door- must be closed

2. Press the Push To Start switch.

a. If you hear three short beeps and the dryer shuts off after several seconds, the thermistor or wire harness is either shortened or open. Check the wire connections at Even Heat control and thermistor. If wiring is functional, replace the thermistor: Unplug the dryer and remove the cabinet rear panel. Remove the two wires and replace the thermistor as shown in Figure 1.

b. If the dryer appears to operate correctly, proceed to step 3.

3. Remove exhaust vent and start the dryer.

a. Turn Fabric Care/ Temperature switch to desired temperature to be tested, and select 20 minutes on the Timed Dry dial. Hold a glass bulb thermometer capable of reading from 90ºF to 180ºF in the center of the exhaust outlet. Measure exhaust temperatures with heater off and on. The correct exhaust temperature is as follows:

b. If the exhaust temperature is not within specified limits, check the resistance of the thermistor.

c. If the thermistor resistance checks within normal limits, replace the Even Heat control.

jeff.

Hockeyfan960

Premium Member
Similar Problem

I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer...(110-79912990)...the problem that has just come up is that when I push the Start button and hold it down I get a buzzing noize that if I continue to push it slowly dies to nothing....sometimes the dryer will start but only runs for approximately 20 minutes until it starts to go really fast also making a high pitched noise then shuts down....I have been able to let it sit for a little while (5-10 mins) and then get it running again, but that has since stopped and now we get nothing when we push the start button. Any suggestions..???

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hockeyfan960 said:
I have a Kenmore Gas Dryer...(110-79912990)...the problem that has just come up is that when I push the Start button and hold it down I get a buzzing noize that if I continue to push it slowly dies to nothing....sometimes the dryer will start but only runs for approximately 20 minutes until it starts to go really fast also making a high pitched noise then shuts down....I have been able to let it sit for a little while (5-10 mins) and then get it running again, but that has since stopped and now we get nothing when we push the start button. Any suggestions..???
Hi,

This problem sounds more like your motor bearing has gone out.

Here is the motor for your model you can order:
Drive Motor 279787 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

repairman wannabe

Premium Member
I have a similar problem... And have read all of the evenheat stuff and thermistor stuff. My dryer stops in the middle of the load - no beeps. Once it stops it will start right up normally if the start button is pressed, and will then run for a while - sometimes the whole cycle. It sounds like evenheat, but $100 is a lot to spend without being fairly sure. I figure that if the motor relay were bad it would just plain not work. Someone also mentioned the motor overheating, but it's real clean in there so it should be cooling OK. Any ideas?

repairman wannabe

Premium Member
More info

Forgot to mention that my dryer is a model 110.68932790. It will start back up immediately after quitting, so nothing needs to cool down. Also, I do have the beeper turned on, so that's not why I don't get the three beeps. Aside from stopping in the middle of each load, it works like a champ with no odd behavior or noises.

tp096255

Kenmore He3 dryer PF Error

I believe I've read everything on these boards about this issue but I have another twist.

My model number is 110.92822102 and I've had it for a little over 3 years. It worked fine until it just started spontaneously shutting off, flashing error code "PF" for about 10 seconds, then going blank. I get no response from the buttons.
I then unplug the unit for several minutes, plug it back in and it will respond to the buttons again. I run the dryer for about 2 minutes and it fails again as above.

I had a tech come out and when he opened up the bottom panel we discovered that the original installers used flex ducting INSIDE the unit to connect to the vent tube and it had become detached, leaving a terrible mess inside. He said they should have used rigid ducting inside the unit and only flex on the outside. He vacuumed out the bottom portion of the unit (said the entire unit needs to be taken apart and cleaned later), secured the flex ducting (he had to order the rigid ducting to install later) started it up and it ran for several minutes without failing. He left and I ran another load on Heavy Duty and it must have run for a good 30 minutes before failing again (based on how dry the towels were) in the same exact fashion.

I don't think it's my home's electrical panel.
Will cleaning the whole inside of the unit really resolve this?
Do I have a bad board and/or thermister?

I would like to at least be able to intelligently discuss the problem with this guy when he comes back tomorrow. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Troy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would say its a bad thermistor, unless there was so much lint inside your dryer that it was blocking the motor vents, and causing the motor to overheat.

Just clean out you dryer completely, then try to run a heavy load or towels or jeans and see what happens.

Jake

jcasaccio

Premium Member
110.94832201 Kenmore HE3

I have a similar issue on my 110.94832201. Dryer has heat, 'check lint screen' light is on. It will run for a short time then shut off. No other settings available other than 'normal' the time setting and the heat setting. I opened the cabinet, cleaned the motor, exhaust ducts and replaced thermistor. Still had the issues for about a day, then poof it works fine!

Not sure if the computer needed to 'recognize' the new part, but it did fix itself eventually which has me stymied.

J

GarySheperd

Premium Member
Kenmore HE3 is not working when I push the start button

I followed the tech instructions, did not get any E1, E2 or E3. Simply when I push the start button I hear a clicking noise by the control board, like the switch is not turning it on. Any ideas?

Thanks