FIXED Kenmore Elite HE3T F06 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

billjes

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a three year old Kenmore Elite HE3T washer and I keeping getting the F06 error. My model# is 110.42924200

I read the code book and checked the wiring harness between the Drive motor, MCU and CCU. The diagnostic test works from C01-C08 with no problems. My door lock works fine and my drain pump is clean. It seems I get most of the F06 error code just after Rinse and before the Spin. If I cancel the wash and then hit the Drain/Spin cycle, it sometimes goes through the rest of the wash wihout the F06 error.

I read the few forums that mentioned the F06 error problem and it seems like you need to guess at what parts to replace. MCU, CCU or Motor. I also noticed the Sears Tech's have trouble figuring out what is causing this error.

Beyond the Diagnostic testing, is there any tests I can run with my volt meter to isolate what is causing the F06 error? At arround $150 per part, I hated to install the wrong parts. I did buy the repair manual to make sure I put any new part in correctly.

Any suggestions on what typically goes bad on the HE3t that may be causing the F06 error? If I need to buy several parts to help me troubleshoot, what order should I install them so maybe I can return any unused parts?

THANKS

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

billjes

Premium Member
Jake:

I disconnected and reconnected every wiring plug on the Washer and I still get the F06 error code.

I will be ordering the MCU tonight.

I'll let you know, if this fixes the problem.

THANKS

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, let us know if that fixes it.:)

Jake

kpaddock

Premium Member
F06 errors corrected -- SIMPLY

I started a "sanitize" load before going to bed. This is a normal thing because of how long the cycle is. I kept hearing beeps and seeing F06. I tried everything I could find on the forums and in my manual. I haven't had issues with my HE3t in literally YEARS. Nothing worked, including turning OFF the washer!

Then I remembered something a technician had said to me when he was on-site correcting an earlier problem about resetting the computer. Unplugging it sometimes corrects the problem. However, it must be unplugged for SEVERAL minutes. Well, I couldn't reach the plug so I flipped the breaker and let it sit for at least five minutes. I flipped the breaker again and my F06 errors are gone and "all's right with my world again". :)

I had forgotten about the washer's memory and that it can take several minutes to "flush" it. I wanted to pass this along in case it's helpful to you. Anything that avoids calling repair, right? We ALL have better things to do with our time!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for sharing that good information about yours for others to try.

Jake

billjes

Premium Member
Jake:

I just replaced the MCU and I thought it was going to fix the problem until I had 3 min left. I then saw the 3 min flash on/off and then after several tries I got the F06 error. I'm going to unplug the unit and try again in the morning. Any other suggestions, since I replaced the CCU and MCU?

kpaddock

Premium Member
How'd it go?

"I just replaced the MCU and I thought it was going to fix the problem until I had 3 min left. I then saw the 3 min flash on/off and then after several tries I got the F06 error. I'm going to unplug the unit and try again in the morning. Any other suggestions, since I replaced the CCU and MCU?"

Billjes, did replacing the drive motor resolve your problem? The description above sounded like more of a controller issue but since you had already replaced that I would assume that eliminated that component as a potential culprit. We're still having intermittent F06 failures and have tried reseating the connectors (except the CCU - I'm assuming that's up top somewhere but I don't have the repair manual so I haven't tried to get to it) so it looks like we'll be starting to replace parts shortly (which will include getting a copy of the repair manual - Is the Whirpool manual offered by RepairClinic.com the one you have? I haven't been able to find a Sears-generated one.)

Jake, I noted that RepairClinic.com seesm to have a very generous return policy. Do they accept electronic part returns? In other words if I replaced our CCU and the problem wasn't resolved could I put my original part back and return/exchange the new CCU for the next part (MCU then motor) in the process? Could the problem be bad connectors or cables and if so would that be the fourth step after the CCU, MCU, and motor are swapped? Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

kpaddock

Premium Member
Wow!

Thanks, Jake. I should have clarified... even installed parts? That seems too good to be true from a troubleshooting standpoint! Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

kpaddock

Premium Member
Thanks, Billjes. We'll start with the motor. Sounds like the tachometer sensor must be getting flaky. I appreciate you sharing your experience!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thanks Billjes for updating us on this F06 error, Glad the motor fixed it.:)

Jake

kpaddock

Premium Member
New motor

FYI, a new motor seems to have resolved our failure as well. Probably a flaky tachometer. Thanks again for your feedback!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job fixing yours too kpaddock, glad its back to normal again.:)

Jake

momoman

Premium Member
I'm also getting an F06 error.

My friend gave me his Kenmore HE3t washer (model 110.42922.200) last year. He had 2 repairs covered under warranty, then got an F06 error and a $600 estimate from Sears to fix it. Instead of fixing it he bought a new machine w/extended warranty instead. The machine was about 3 yrs old at the time.

I have an HE3t (model 110.429322.200) that I bought about the same time as him. Mine was bought at the Sears outlet and has been flawless. His was bought new at the retail store. What is the difference with the model numbers?

I want to fix my "spare" machine and donate it to our church. I can swap parts from my good machine to my bad machine to test, then order the replacement part. Should I swap the MCU or the CCU first? I'm hoping it's one of these 2 instead of the motor.

The problem w/ the bad machine:
1. Turn on.
2. At 20 secs, small amt of water fills and drum spins 1 rev counterclockwise (cc.)
3. At 1 min, more water and spins 2 revs cc.
4. At 2 min, more water and spins 1 1/2 revs cc.
5. At 3 min, quick spurt of water, and spins 2 revs cc, and the display blinks, "45."
6. It repeats step 5 until the 7 min mark.
7. At 7 min, beeps and flashes 'F06."
8. At this point it's difficult to get the machine to drain and unlock the door.

I don't have the repair manual yet. I plan to purchase it when I purchase the needed part. Should I buy the manual first to run diagnostic tests, or should swapping parts be a viable method of testing since I have 2 machines?

billjes

Premium Member
F06 Error

I read many blogs on the F06 error, before I started to troubleshoot my HE3T. My F06 error happened about the same time yours did during the spin cycle.

Here is what I did:
1) Disconnected every cable to the MCU and CCU (one at a time) and reconnected them making sure each connection was good. I heard that could cure the F06 error. This did not fix the F06 error on my machine.

2 ) Replaced the MCU. This did not fix the F06 error on my machine.

3) Replaced the motor that has the tachometer. This did the trick.

Repairclinic.com refunded me for the MCU.

I believe the motor was fine and the tachometer was the problem. I had two other people with HE3T F06 errors that the motor fixed.

Hopes this info helps... Good Luck!

momoman

Premium Member
Will try replacing the motor

I've just ordered the motor and the repair manual. I remember my friend saying something about the repair man mentioning that the motor was bad.

If replacing the motor doesn't fix it then I will try swapping the CCU and MCU. I've already tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.