Kenmore Elite HE4 110.85091401 some buttons light, won’t turn on when start is pressed

Julee

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Certain buttons light, but dryer won’t start when START is pressed. Drum light is working. At first only the casual setting button worked, but now a few more are coming on, but not timed dry. Cannot get dryer to turn on on any setting. Happened once last week, then all buttons worked and dryer functioned. I believe the control panel has failed. Would love to have instructions on where to buy and how to replace panel myself if possible. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, your control panel has gone bad.

Here's the control panel for your model you can order:
280100 Electronic Control

Watch this video, it will show you how to access/replace it:

Let us know how it goes. Remember to unplug your dryer first.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Julee, keep us posted.

Jake

Julee

Premium Member
Jake,
Update: ordered part, installed and it worked-for a bit. Went to select a cycle day later and the same buttons wouldn’t work. Interestingly, when you press on the panel near the more time/less time buttons, the minute counter decreases-not pressing the buttons, just the panel near them. Weird. It seems to be only the right side near the pause/cancel that is affected. I’m thinking a short of some sort? Please advise. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the new control panel electrical connector isn't on properly or isn't on all the way in, I'd check that first.:)

Jake

Julee

Premium Member
Are you meaning where the control panel connector is plugged into the main control panel? I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. 😆

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where the main ribbon cable from the new control panel connects to your control board.:)

Jake

Julee

Premium Member
It was connected completely. Tried to start a cycle. Only heavy duty button lights up now but won’t turn on the dryer. Any other ideas as to what is wrong? Thx

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Unplug the dryer, then remove the control board from the bracket and flip it over and look for any burned spots on it. Video Included in part link.

Here's the control board for your model:
WP8546219 Control Board

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, did the control panel that came to you look in good shape? No shipping damage? Was the box double tapped?

Update: ordered part, installed and it worked-for a bit.
It sounds like you got a defective control panel because you said it did work for a bit.

Did you order from AppliancePartsPros? If so call them 1-877-477-7278 and they will send you another new one free of charge.

Jake

Julee

Premium Member
Jake,
Put in a new control panel. Worked for a bit, now doing the same thing. When I press on the control panel to the left of the button I want to press, it lights up! But if I press the button, it won’t work. Happened on the last control panel too. Something isn’t connecting! Is there any help for my dryer? 😕

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange Julee, I'm puzzled why it works for a bit then doesn't. I'm out of suggestions, sorry.

I've replaced many of these user interface control panels and it fixed all of my customers dryers.

Time to have Sears 1-800-4-MYHOME come out to see what's going on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, keep us posted, I'm very curious to what the problem could be.

Jake