• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite HE4 Dryer 110.85872400 - Comes on, heats up but keeps blowing out the cut off fuse

creogrl

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Elite HE4 dryer. He keeps blowing the cut off fuse. The first thing I checked was the Thermal cut off fuse and it was bad. I went ahead and changed out the thermal cut-off fuse along with the thermostat. I also changed the heating element just so everything would be new. The inside did not have a lint build up but I cleaned everything out from the filter to the outside vent freeing all of lint because that's usually what causes this issue. The dryer started, heated up, dried two loads of clothes but the CO fuse went out again. I changed it out thinking it may have just been a faulty fuse. It came back on, dried a load of clothes then went out again. I checked the Moisture sensor bars, Thermal fuse, Thermistor and all are good... I can't figure out what keeps triggering the cut off fuse to go out. Any help would be appreciated. :sneaky:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So this part below keeps blowing out?

Here's the thermal cut-off kit for your model, WHICH INCLUDES THE HIGH-LIMIT THERMOSTAT:
Thermal Cut Out Fuse Kit 279973

Put the dryer on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT without clothes in it and see if it gets hot.

If so, then the control board is the problem, but its No Longer Available:
WP8546219 Control Board

Jake

creogrl

Premium Member
Yes, that is what I've changed out SEVERAL times (both of them because as you know they are sold as a pair). Once replaced, it doesn't matter which setting I select they all work . However, it'll start heating up then all of a sudden, it's out again... I checked to see if the element was grounding it out but that was good too.

I put it on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT without clothes. It DOES NOT GET HOT. It will only get hot when it's on a hot setting. So, it acts like it wants to run but something still triggers it to shut off...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
However, it'll start heating up then all of a sudden, it's out again... I checked to see if the element was grounding it out but that was good too.
What do you mean by that? It heats when the machine is not even ON or RUNNING?

Jake

creogrl

Premium Member
No, what I mean is...after I replace the high limit thermostat, the dryer will start up as it normally would. It'll get hot and run like normal for a while (one time it dried a load of clothes, the next time it only ran for about 5 minutes) then it'll just stop heating (the element will go off). The dryer will continue to run but it stops heating. Then, I check continuity and high limit cut off thermostat will be bad.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need a thermometer to take its temperature. Sounds like its overheating if your vent exhaust is clean and clear.

This Multimeter reads temperature, it comes with a probe you put in the dryer door. Just open the dryer door and insert the probe, then close the door and run the dryer(WITHOUT CLOTHES IN IT) and watch the meter. Don't put the probe to far in or it will be hitting the drum as it turns.

With the dryer on timed dry, high heat, the temperature should be 170*F to 190*F. Watch the thermometer or multimeter display and note the temperature the element turns off and the temperature it turns back on through about 6-8 cycles. They should be fairly consistent.

Jake

Longinus876

So this part below keeps blowing out?

Here's the thermal cut-off kit for your model, WHICH INCLUDES THE HIGH-LIMIT THERMOSTAT:
Thermal Cut Out Fuse Kit 279973

Put the dryer on AIR FLUFF/NO HEAT without clothes in it and see if it gets hot.

If so, then the control board is the problem, but its No Longer Available:
WP8546219 Control Board

Jake
Jake, I have a question. The thermostat with the 4 prongs does or does not use a bias heater to run at higher temp than the air it's sampling? I'm looking at the 2 violet wires that carry 120v. One goes on and off with the position of the dial and the other is on all the time. If it doesn't heat up, it will sense "Low Heat" and run the heat coil too long??? Thanks. Good answers all. (model 110.60902990)