Kenmore Elite HE4 Frontload Washer

snow413679

Premium Member
I have owned this washer for about 16 months now. About 3 months ago I started to notice a stale water smell. I had assumed it was from leaving a load in the washer over night. Than the smell continued to get worse slowly over time. My cloths came out fine probably because the smell was from somewhere under the drum. Than it got to the point that the first thing I smelled when I came into the house was a moldy stale water smell. I knew exactly what it was. I got fed up with it and I peelled the rubber on the outside of the drum back to discover a black mold all along the white outside casing of the drum. I scrubbed that down with bleach, it came off easily. But there was still a mold or stale water smell comming from it, but not as strong. So I decided to do a load with just bleach to get down in under the drum, I filled the the soap area completly with bleach. I let the cycle run and than I did another empty load with nothing but water. I could still smell something but not as strong. So I did another bleach load with no cloths in it. The next day I checked on it, the smell was still there but it was a little less a strong. When I got home that evening I did not notice a mold or stale water smell when I came in the house. I opened up the washer and it still kind of smelled, but nothing like it did so I decided to do another bleach load, this time pouring bleach directly into the drum, alot of it, and also some in the soap dispenser drawer in the soap area. I have yet to check on it, but I hope this final blow has worked.

I do not wash alot of whites, probably only once every month or sometimes two months. So there was virtually never really any bleach but into the machine, bleach kills mold. Judging by the the drastic reduction in the mold or stale water smell I believe that this last bleach load will do it. I have figured that due to the fact that I really never wash a whites load that if I do a bleach load once a month from now on everything should be fine. Not everyone has had this problem with this washer, I assume because they wash whites more often than I do and use bleach. Regardless I wanted to let people know of this mold problem. I will update a couple weeks from now to let yall know if the smell is completly gone, and if it has stayed gone. I am not as concerned as I was before I started the "clean-up". It looks as if this will work.
Amber :cool:

Last edited:

Bambiblaster

Appliance Tech
What you did was right.... Once every three months do the bleach wash.. Once a week wipe out the boot with bleech wipes... when not in use leave door open about 2 inches so air can circulate better.... Unfortunatly this is a life of a front loader... ALSO Use only HE detergent

snow413679

Premium Member
update

I have not smelled any kind of mold or stale water smell from my washer since last week. I have left the door open a couple of times because prior to reading the reply my mother (who also has a front load but has not experienced this problem yet) decided that when the door closes it creates a complete seal, a great enviorment for mold to grow in, dark, moist, and sealed off. I do only use HE detergent, and I will make a point to do bleach loads from now on. I only wish kenmore would have pointed this out in the manual....to atleast keep the door open from time to time....and be sure to check for mold....this I have a problem with they should have mentioned that. I talked my mom into getting a set like mine because I had at the time no problems with it, I was embarresed to have to inform her of this flaw when I had given it such praises, so she can make sure it didn't happen to her.

Debbie H

Premium Member
I have this machine and have learned to hate it....:( I find that socks get into the rubber thing around the door and hide in there and smell. It is also sooooo noisy and shakey. I've had Sears out at least 4 times and they keep telling me I have weak floors. I had an engineer here and he says no I don't. The load seems uneven at times and my clothes twist which is an indication that it is uneven. Repairmen get really snippy about it too. Any advice????

snow413679

Premium Member
shaking front load washer

my parents had the same problem with theirs big time!! but after having a repairman come out and look at it they discovered that the packaging pins that look as if they aren't supposed to be taken out of the back where still in, this is what was causing the machine to shake like crazy. the pins if i remember were bright orange, check the back of your machine and see if these pins are still in, if they are take them out this should stop the shaking. i must admit though it was interesting to see my parents washer basically shake itself into a walk......about the socks getting stuck in the rubber part i have never had a problem with that with mine ever, is the rubber part loose maybe that could be the problem.:eek:

Debbie H

Premium Member
Thanks, I'll check that tonight when I get home. I also find that my clothes twist around each other and that tells me that the machine is not balanced. It is really frustrating. Things come out of the dryer really wrinkled that should not be. I feel bad because my dh bought these as a Christmas present in 2004 which I got in January 2005. He was so excited! And then this happens.

Debbie

Marc_Emile

Premium Member
Kenmore front loader moldy fetid smell

I also have a Kenmore Front loader that gave out a moldy, fetid smell. I did mention this to the technician and he did suggest that I leave the door open to vent the inside the washer, which did make a lot of sense; but I'm still a a lost to find out why it wasn't CLEARLY stated in the IMPORTANT notice and/or hints. I did try a couple of bleach washes and it seems to have done the trick for the smell inside the washer but did nothing for the smell I kept getting in my wash cloths and/bath towels...probably due to the fact that they are more absorbent that other fabrics. After looking at the liquid dispenser, I noticed that there still was water inside and most likely the culprit after smelling the water. I did remove the level caps from both the bleach divider(which I hardly use) and also, the one for the softener. I would also recommend that you dilute the softener, especially the concentrate. I would strongly suggest this to those of you who have a water pump and/or those with less water pressure. My guess is this is a badly thought out system(liquid dispenser) that doesn't work out quite that well in "all" situations(high/low water pressure) which was more than likely "assumed"or again, probably due to the fact that they had to "get it out and ship it out".