• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Ice Maker Flood

jim662

Premium Member
I've got a Kenmore Elite with an ice maker problem. I don't have the model number handy, but I can get it later if necessary. This ice maker is the kind with the bucket in the door and has the emitter/transmitter to determine when the ice level is too high.

The other day, I heard the water click on for the ice maker, but it never cliked off and caused a minor flood. Luckily I was right there, so that wasn't that big of a deal.

I pulled the refridgerator away from the wall and turned off the watter supply. There were some ice cubes on the white sweep arms and the freezer compartment was wet. I cleaned it up and let it sit for a while. A couple of days later, I turned the water back on and the ice maker never filled. I believe the white seep arms moved some, but they seem to be stopped at eye level, parallel to the ground. Water has not filled the ice cube tray since I turned the water back on.

I tried checking out the led near the on/off switch. I don't see any light at all, but I don't recall ever seeing a light there.

Obviously, I've got a problem but I'd like to troubleshoot this in a way where I don't just change parts that may not be bad. What would be the first step? Also, what would have caused the icemaker to keep filling the way that it did?

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

Sounds like you have 2 problems, you should see that LED light either flashing or steady ON. Also your ice maker module is bad.

You'll need both parts to fix it.

Whats the model# of your refrigerator? Its located inside the refrigerator section on the right side upper wall.

Jake

jim662

Premium Member
I played around with it last night. The refridgerator is model No. 106.53603200.

The led does light on the receiver. I must have been doing the test wrong earlier. I get a steady 5 second red light after I push the light switch off 3X and then close and open the refrigerator door. Hopefully, that means all is well with the circuit boards.

I also paid more attention to the wiper arm in the ice maker; it sweeps through the cycle and stops so that the arms are pointing slighly upward, but close to parallel to the ground. If I was looking through the side of the freezer, I'd say the arms are at 2 O'clock. Again, that looks like good news.

I'm left with figuring out why the flood happened in the first place and why the ice maker will not fill, eventhough it will cycle through a cycle. I'm not hearing the selonoid open, so I'm presuming the valve is bad. Do you agree? Is part no. 4389177 the correct part for the valve? BTW, the water to the cold water dispenser works just fine.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now from what your saying, its pointing more toward the water inlet valve that may be the cause.

Also check above your ice maker, you will see a black rubber tube coming down from the freezer ceiling, squeeze that and see if ice is clogged in it. If so, defrost it with a hair dryer and stick something up in there to see if you got all the ice out.

Yes, thats the correct part# for your water inlet valve, you can order it here:
Here's the one for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: 4389177

Jake