FIXED Kenmore Elite ice not dispensing through door - Auger motor location

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcarr

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore Elite side by side (Model #106.56713500) that is 2 1/2 years old. It is making ice fine and the bin on the door fills up but when we push the arm/lever on the outside of the door to dispense ice nothing happens. It will dispense water but when the ice side is pushed down it just hums. We had a similar problem (but I think it would not make any sound) while it was under warranty and Sears came and replaced a motor, I think? At that time, the tech said to make sure that we empty the bin every so often - I think we may have burnt out the motor when the arm was stuck or something like that. Therefore, since then, I"ve been very careful to make sure we don't hold the arm down to long, clean out the bin and make sure the arm is not stuck. This latest malfunction happened in the last week and every once and a while I'll try it and it will work but then if I try it again, it doesn't. For example, this morning I got some crushed ice but when I went back to try it again just the humming sound.

Any advice on things we can try before calling Sears? things I've tried - I have pushed the reset button, made sure the arm isn't stuck, emptied the entire bin, cleaned it and let it dry before putting it back in...but still no luck.

Thanks for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The Sears website is down for maintenance now, so I can't tell if you have the Ice dispenser that sits on your freezer door or mounts inside your freezer then slides out, which one do you have?

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
The icemaker is on the top shelf of the freezer but the bin and dispenser are on the door. It is a clear bin with a button on the side that you push to release the bin. The dispensing mechanism is directly below that on the door. Hope this makes sense. As a follow up, yesterday it would work about every third time I tried but if I released the arm it wouldn't work right away again. Makes me think it is not the motor again unless that is typical of a failing motor. Also that humming noise I mentioned is actually the dispenser "door" opening and closing I believe. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Take your ice dispenser container off the inside of the freezer door, and look at the metal bushing to see if its worn, or metal shaved off of it. Also look underneath your ice dispenser container itself and see what that one looks like as well.

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
Just did that and they both look normal to me. I haven't been able to get any ice out of it since my post yesterday. I just tried pouring most of the ice out and making sure the arm wasn't stuck, etc. but still no luck.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So with the dispenser off the door, the motor bearing piece turns normal when you push the ice dispenser lever in while holding the light switch?

And the dispenser one turns ok when you try to turn it by hand?

If not then you may likely need a new dispenser container assembly.

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
I was wondering how to test that. NO, when I hold in the light switch and push the dispenser button the only thing that happens is the dispenser trap door opens. The motor bearing piece does not turn at all. (I've also not been able to get ice for a couple of days now - through the dispenser that is...not the on again/off again I was having)
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it sounds like your dispenser motor is out again.

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
that's what I was afraid of. Isn't this unusual for a 2 1/2 year old frig to have the dispenser motor replaced twice?

Is this something we might be able to do ourselves or do we have to call Sears to come fix it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sure you can change it yourself.:)

Here's the ice dispenser motor for your model:
WP2252130 Dispenser Motor

Its fairly easy to replace, its located inside your freezer door with the freezer door open look down about 3 shelves, then you will see 2 screws that sit just below that 2nd or 3rd shelf. Just take that cover off and you will see it mounted in there, then the 4 screws that mounts it, then remove it, there will be a metal rod that connects to the top of it, just install the new motor with that metal rod in the same place. And remove the electrical connector from the old one to the new one.

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks so much for the part information. We've looked carefully at the inside of the freezer door and do not see where you mention the two screws just below either the 2nd or 3rd shelf. There don't appear to be any screws visible on the inside door of the freezer. Are we missing something or is there a different way into this mechanism? I seem to remember being surprised at what the Sears tech had to do to get into this frig when he was here a year and a half ago - but I could be wrong. It looks like the white inside panel of the freezer door is one big piece.

many thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It has to be there, keep looking.:)

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
Well, I took all the door bins out and I still don't see any screws. I was going to ask you to doublecheck and make sure you have the right model but thought I'd take a photo instead. I've attached photos of what the door looks like. I just don't see anywhere that screws would be. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand, I don't see it on yours. I've changed about 20 of these ice dispenser motors in the last 8 years and there's always been an access panel on them all to remove that ice dispenser motor.

I'm not sure what to tell you on this one, I'm shocked I don't see it either from your photos.

You need to contact Whirlpool to come out and watch were the tech. accesses the ice dispenser motor from.

Jake

hcarr

Premium Member
Yes, we've looked and looked. I feel like when the repair person was here before that he had to remove the whole panel somehow. We removed the front part by the dispenser which did protrude pretty far back into the door but there was nothing that looked like the motor or access to it that way. Thanks again for all of your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yea, I've never seen a model where you have to remove the complete door liner to access it.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you more of what to do, but I'm stumped myself.

Jake

Maiso

Premium Member
Hi:

Did you ever found how to access the ice dispensing motor on this Refrigerator ( Kenmore Elite Model 106.56713500 ) Thanks for your help.

drhombe

Premium Member
I've got the same fridge and the same ice dispensing problem as mentioned here. I was just wondering if perhaps the motor access panel is right below the bucket assembly, where the shaft comes out. It almost looks like that panel might pop up, but not easily if it does. There are sure no obvious ways to remove the entire door panel!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The access door for the ice dispenser motor is always under that, look underneath it for a access door. Take a photo too if you can, it just surprises me that they say its not there, I've change tons of these style ice dispenser motors and I always find it underneath.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.