FIXED Kenmore Elite ice not dispensing through door - Auger motor location

Status
Not open for further replies.

muaiii

Premium Member
i disasembled it and installed the new motor and everythig per the instructions. And I am not trying to come across sounding sharp or anything, this thing has just been real confusing. But With the new motor installed we have the exact same result.(it will dispense cubed ice but it will not crush up the ice and dispense it.) Is this motor a bi-directional motor? Because it will turn one way but not the opposeite. Besides I want to make sure that we get the part that resolves this problem so that I can get this behind us and resolved.. Also I need to aliminate the motor and look at the PCB?
Thanks
Jeremy

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Jeremy, this sometimes happens when we're answering a lot of questions in more than one thread and someone posts a question in the same thread, with the same problem. We naturally assume the same parts are in that model as well. Between looking up parts and service manuals and jumping back and forth between threads, we sometimes get confused too. There are two styles of the motor with one being a redesigned model. You have the redesigned model and that would account for the high DC voltage you were getting. You need the dispenser board. There is a link for it in post #2 that I gave Morris. You can return that motor and exchange it for the dispenser board. Sorry about that Jeremy

muaiii

Premium Member
when you click on the link you supplied... the website indicates that part is no longer available. Could you check the link again? Also, do they have a kit that allows you to buy the PCB that fits in the door the buttons control. So we could replace both boards if it is cost affective...
thanks
Jeremy

mhicks

Premium Member
I have a Kenmore Elite model 106.57715700 that isn't dispensing ice - whole or crushed. I removed the door ice storage bucket, depressed the door switch and hit the ice dispense button. The drive shaft does not move. I subsequently removed the motor and couldn't get the drive shaft to turn in any direction. I aloo checked the signal to the motor on pins 1 & 2 - got 7VDC when the ice dispense switch is depressed and 0VDC when it is not. Would you agree that I need a new auger motor? My parnt number for the motor is 2252130.

rickgburton

Staff member
Open the door and remove the ice bucket. Tape the door switch closed. Press the unlock button on the front panel. Set volt meter to read AC volts. Touch the meter leads to pins 3 and 5 and press ice dispenser lever. The meter should read 120 VAC. Set meter to read DC volts and touch black lead to pin 6 and the red lead to pin 7. Push the ice dispenser lever. Meter should read 120 VDC. Press the Crushed button on dispenser panel. Black test lead to pin 1 and red test lead to pin 2. Press the ice dispenser lever and meter should show +120 VDC. Press the Cubed ice button on dispenser. Red test lead to pin 1 and black test lead to pin 2. Meter should read +120 VDC

mhicks

Premium Member
Rick:
Thanks for your post, but I'm a little confused. There are only four wires leading to the connector that connects to the motor from the control board.The pin locations are 1, 2, 4 and 6. Pin 1 is a brown/white wire. Pin 2 is a red/white wire. Pin 4 is a gray wire. Pin 6 is a blue wire. I could be wrong on the pin locations since the connector does not have a pin one marker.

mhicks

Premium Member
Rick:
Made a mistake. Pin 5 is gray and pin 7 is blue. I've attached a picture of the connector.IMAG0190.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
OK That's the newer IDI Motor. It uses a bridge rectifier to change 120 VAC to 120 VDC. Leave the motor connected Between the Red/White wire and the Brown/White wire you should read either +120 VDC or -120 VDC when you push the lever for cubed ice and the opposite for crushed ice. If you read + for cubed then you should read - for crushed. Then take a resistance reading the Gray wire and the Blue Pin #5 and Pin #7 with the connector off, you should read 12 Ohms.

muaiii

Premium Member
We ordered a new PCB ... It is on back order.. I will see what happens when we get it.. Thanks
jeremy

mhicks

Premium Member
Rick:
Here's what happened. I inserted my probes to measure the reistance on the Gray/Blue wires. When I depressed the dispenser switch, the motor started to work. The resistance was 10 ohms. I then measured the DC voltage across the Red/White and the Brown/White. I got 148V and it changed sign as I changed from crushed to cube. After several minutes and several successful attempts, it stopped working. If I giggled the blue/gray wire, sometime it would start and sometimes it wouldn't. It seemed like the connector is bad or there is a short in the motor. It stopped working and now I get infinite ohms on the blue/gray wires and 120VAC acrross them when the dispenser is depressed. I no longer get any DC voltage accross Red/White to Brown/White wires. Also, before it stoipped working, the motor gradually slowed down to zero rpms. Do you think it is the motor?

rickgburton

Staff member

muaiii

Premium Member
Thanks guys... When the motor is working and the voltage is there.. replaced the PCB W10184879. It works every time. We now have crushed Ice.
merry xmas
M. allen and Jeremy

Cblackwd

Premium Member
I have a slightly different problem. My auger motor tunns no problem, but my trap door is not opening, so the ice does not come out. There is usually a hum indicating the trap door is opening before the auger motor starts pushing the ice out, but the hum is missing.

Cblackwd

Premium Member
I have a slightly different problem. My auger motor tunns no problem, but my trap door is not opening, so the ice does not come out. There is usually a hum indicating the trap door is opening before the auger motor starts pushing the ice out, but the hum is missing.
Cold spot model 106.57453701

Cblackwd

Premium Member
Rick, thank you. I have some more info and a question before I order. Is it possible it could be the mechanism that detects whether the dispenser flap is open or shut? When it was working, if the dispenser flap door was closed when you wanted ice, there was a delay before the ice auger motor started turning, which allowed the flap door to open. Ice would then dispense, and afterwards it would wait about 20 seconds before closing flap, allowing the next person to get ice immediately. Now that it is broken, there is no delay when you push the ice dispenser and the start of the auger motor to dispense ice. It's like it thinks the flap door is still open.

rickgburton

Staff member
I was unsuccessful in my attempt at finding any information on that model. Look for your tech sheet behind the bottom kick plate on the right side and it should be tapped to the bottom of the refrigerator. The information you need should be on the tech sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.