FIXED Kenmore Elite ice not dispensing through door - Auger motor location

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like it's getting power but not strong enough to crush ice. Check between the red/white wire and the brown/white wire for either +115 VDC or -115 VDC depending on cube or crush selection. If the voltage is correct, the motor isn't strong enough to work or something is jamming it up.

holder

Premium Member
I was finally able to repair my dispenser. Although the steel rod that connects the auger motor to the coupler on the bottom of the ice bin did not show any obvious signs of wear, as a last resort, I removed the silicone ring at the top of the rod and placed it on the opposite end so that I could flip the rod. That did the trick. Apparently the rod was the problem even though it showed no signs of wear or marring. Hope this helps you.

Holder

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I remembered something about that coupler as soon as you mentioned it. The ones that were two piece, brazed, were replaced with one piece stainless steel because they kept breaking causing that problem.

Attachments

markmorscher

I experienced a similar issue, and during my diagnosis, I found a potential source of the issue that I haven't seen in the thread that is simply solved.

The symptom was that the arm was turning without ice, but was not dispensing ice when the bin was full. When I was looking at each part to verify the motor was turning, I noticed that there was a good amount of ice build-up on the door/motor-side three-pronged coupler (since it was clear ice, it was not immediately apparent). This could easily lead to slippage in the coupler connection when additional resistance is put on the arm/rotor. Once I chipped away all this ice, it appears that the coupler made a really good connection, and ice (including crushed) was able to be dispensed.

Make sure you check this before replacing the motor! If this was the original issue when a motor replacement appeared to solve the issue, it might actually have been resolved when the ice buildup defrosted during the replacement.

r1200gs

Ice auger motor can be jammed by water dripping down drive shaft and refreezing in gears

My motor has just quit for the 2nd time...
Is there a fuse/switch of rr something that might be failing other than the motor?
I've just been in through the inside of the of my door and removed my auger motor that was jammed but still made a humming sound. I took the auger motor unit out and let it thaw for an hour or so. A couple of ounces of water came out of the motor unit (it looks pretty well sealed, but the water definitely came out of it.) I then reinstalled the motor and now it works fine. So I think it is possible for water to run down the auger drive shaft and freeze inside the gears in the auger drive motor unit causing the motor to jam. This could be why the motor was relocated to be accessible from the door front (and possibly in a heated area). My motor has a date stamp from 2006. In any case this could be a reason for a reoccurrence of a motor failure. Namely a bit of ice thawing and water running down the drive shaft and refreezing inside the auger motor unit. Which is to say the problem could be a water leak, not a motor or electronics failure. It could be that a jammed motor is still functional and does not need to be replaced, as was the case for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.