• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Microhood Stopped Working.

Deano

Premium Member
imported post

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Microhood model#66561682101 Serial#TRM1914457 "Brand New" off of Ebay for about $175. The unit arrived looking brand spankin new with protective plastic covers and everything.We installed the unit and it workedperfectly for about 2 weeks until one day I noticed that the turntable was not working.On the display it showed that it had been turned off, so Iturned it on, and the display shows that it should be on, but nothing. I tried to test the voltageto the turntable motor which showed some power for about 5 seconds then nothing. Sears repair center will not give me any support whatsoever without spending the $75 rip just to bring it in the door (the repairtech refused to talk to me). After giving them the model number and serial number of the unit, none of the customer service reps could tell me why the unit was sold as "Brand New" with no warranty, where the unit came from, or if it was stolen. After dealing withSears' horrible customer service, I will make sure that everyone I know will never waste their money on Kenmore or Sears, but I digress...I'm on my own here and I would like to fix this unit just so I dont have to mount another one. A new motor is $10,a new microcomputer is $150.Is there anyone with some relevant experience whocan speculate on what might be the problem and adviseof a possiblesolution. Thanks.

I amready to replace all of my other appliances with somehigher end units, any advice on which brand to buyand who to buy them from?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

Deano wrote:
I tried to test the voltage to the turntable motor which showed some power for about 5 seconds then nothing.... A new motor is $10, a new microcomputer is $150. Is there anyone with some relevant experience who can speculate on what might be the problem and advise of a possible solution.
Just using logic:

If the motor was getting power but not functioning, it would likely be defective and need to be replaced. If it is not even getting power (the whole time it should be running), I would think whatever controls that power supply (in your case the electronic control board) would have to be the problem? Unless there's just a loose connection between the two...

After dealing with Sears' horrible customer service, I will make sure that everyone I know will never waste their money on Kenmore or Sears
Or probably better, Kenmore (or any brand named) items sold on eBay without a warranty?

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

Deano wrote:
How can I test the motor for functionality?
Other than connecting the motor to an appropriate source and watching it to see if it continued to move the whole time, I don't know of an absolute test for the motor.

But I would think it should be fairly simple (provided you have a volt meter and know how to use it) to check if it is getting power continuously or not. If the motor was ever getting power but not running, a reasonable deduction would be the motor was defective. If its power supply stopped (when the motor should be running), than its wiring and the control system would be suspect.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~