• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake

Kenmore elite microwave convection combo, half working and awful burt odor.

Melsair

Premium Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2016
Messages
18
Location
NC
Model Number
790.80373310
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Age
1-5 years
Microwave started a few months ago occasionally failing to heat food, but no indication it wasn't working until the food is removed and cold. Gradually did it more often, then started making a "buzzing/popping sound. Now it will heat for just a couple seconds then starts the noise and an awful odor (unlike the typical burnt motor winding smell). I checked out the capacitor, it's fine. The resistor off the capacitor is rated too high for my meter, so I couldn't check it (what does it do anyway, it's screwed to ground?). I fired it up setting on the shop bench, and the smoke is coming out of the inside of the cabinet. I ordered a new magnetron and installed it, but it does the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I got a bad part. I ordered it off ebay, guy had 100% feed back, exact match, said he'd ordered it for his microwave but changed his mind and didn't install it. What do ya think? Thanks
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I ordered a new magnetron and installed it
Still have the old one? If yes, post some pics of it.

I fired it up setting on the shop bench, and the smoke is coming out of the inside of the cabinet
Checked the wave guide cover and under the wave guide cover?

Waveguide-Cover-5304464061--00772117.jpg LINK> Waveguide cover

High voltage transformer oK, not burnt?

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
23,822
Location
Ontario, Canada
Top