FIXED Kenmore Elite propane dryer 110.97892602 heating issue

KarolynP

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Dryer is not drying properly and it appears to be related to a rattling noise. If it is going to work, on start up the dryer drum will spin for about 20 seconds and then it will ask for heat. You can hear the igniter click and things get warm. It may cycle through once or twice more and I will have heat in the dryer. Then when it calls for heat again a rattle starts and no heat results. After that, the rattle is constant and i have no heat. No error codes, venting clear. Any ideas, please? I have been able to duplicate this 3x so far. It appears to go back to work after it cools down.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Solenoid coils suspect

It may cycle through once or twice more and I will have heat in the dryer. Then when it calls for heat again a rattle starts and no heat results.
The solenoid coils on the gas valve are known for working once or twice then crapping out when they get warm from use. Often they will reset again when they have a chance to cool.

If the ignitor is cycling on and off but the flame never comes on again, the gas valve's solenoid coils would be suspect.

LINK > Kenmore 110.97892602 Dryer Gas Valve Solenoid Coils

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
KarolynP said:
Would that also explain the rattle?
I don't know what the rattle is since its origin hasn't been pinpointed. It might just be from the flame sensor operating, cutting the ignitor off and on like it's designed to do. It might also be coming from the gas valve as a result of the coil's failure.

See if replacing the valve solenoid coils solves both problems. I'd not, isolate exactly where the rattle is coming from and tell us.

Dan O.

KarolynP

Premium Member
Got it. I find it odd that when it is not rattling it is heating and when it does rattle, it isnt heating. It appears that the rattle is associated with something heating up as it doesn't rattle when the unit is allowd to sit, presumable to cool off. Will report back if this fix does the trick....or not.

KarolynP

Premium Member
Received the solenoids and replaced. Hardest part was getting a rusty screw out to take the lower front cover off. Used a short screwdriver to remove the bracket and replaced them with the bew ones. Seems to be working, heat through the entire cycle and no rattle. THANK YOU!!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Fixed

Seems to be working, heat through the entire cycle and no rattle.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the followup.

Hardest part was getting a rusty screw out to take the lower front cover off.
Imagine if you were a technician and quoted a person on an easy job only to run into a rusty screw that takes you an extra 1/2 (or more!) but can't charge for the extra time? You never know what you're going to run into performing service.

Dan O.