• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 106.57793701 Ice Maker Bin clogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatbou64

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have been struggling with this issue. The chute between the trap door and the ice bin gets clogged with melted ice. At first, I thought the trap door wasn't shutting all the way, so I replaced the main circuit board. That didn't solve the issue and the trap door is shutting all the way. Then I replaced the trap door thinking it wasn't getting a good seal. Still the same issue.

1. It looks like warm air is going up the chute and melting/refreezing the ice.
2. If I clean everything up and let the bin fill with all new ice and NOT use the ice dispenser everything seems fine. meaning the ice in the bin is not melting/refreezing
3. Once I start using the dispenser the chute gets clogged up and when the trap door opens some water runs out.

Driving me craze. Any help would be appreciated

Top of the ice bin.jpeg
Bottem of the ice bin.jpeg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Ok, then it sounds like the ice door isn't closing, thus causing condensation to form up in the ice chute and then you get that clog of ice there. Are you absolutely sure the ice door is closing all the way?

--->Get a flashlight and shine it down the ice chute and look for light coming out the other side.

Possibly the ice door motor is faulty or the gear in it has broken.

I'm going to post the instructions to access the ice door motor and how to ohm test it.

(Click to enlarge)
106__ice_motor_check.jpg

Here's the ice door motor for your model, if needed:
WPW10184813 Motor

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, after you use the ice dispenser make sure the ice door is closing after a couple seconds and not staying open for a extended time frame before it closes.

Jake

Phatbou64

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. That is exactly what it seems like however, the trap door is opening and closing and I have replaced the trap door as well (the foam on the old one was packed down). When I watch the operation of the trap door opening and closing it appears to be working fine and sealing tight. I will test the motor and take a video of the door opening and closing.

Phatbou64

Premium Member
So I checked the motor and pins 2,3,5 and 6 all read 49.9 ohms. I also attached a video of the trap door opening and closing.
I did notice that the freezer setting was at 2 and not the recommended 0. I changed it to 0.

There is defiantly ice melt going on, just not sure what is causing it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, it ohms good.

It looks good in the video, except at the very end where it seems to struggle just a tiny bit in closing the door all the way, that may be the issue where at times its not closing all the way.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its up to you, I'm not 100% sure that will fix it, but it seems likely it will.

I know this sounds overbearing, but every time you use the ice dispenser check to see if that little ice door stays open a little bit by using a flashlight and shine it down the ice chute and look for light coming out the other side.

That way you will know for sure if the ice door motor will fix it.

Jake

Phatbou64

Premium Member
So I replaced the motor and the trapdoor arm. I also lowered the freezer temp to the recommended zero. This seems to have resolved the issue, the motor specifically. If feels like that trapdoor is closing tighter.

Thanks for all the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.