• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 106.71204100 Ice Make Failure

Pkonthehill

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello - The ice maker in my Kenmore Elite Coldspot, model #106.71204100 stopped working. What I noticed is two fold. Water stopped flowing into the ice making tray, second the fan at the front of the maker seemed to stop. Maybe one is related to the other. I recognize there are many components, which one is most likely suspect and should be replaced first, and is there a way to test the units to identify its failure?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that fan in front of the ice maker is a Acceler-ice Unit, its basically just a fan motor.

Remove it, it just unsnaps off, then and use a multimeter and put your meter probes in L and N on the ice maker module and if you get 120 volts. The optics does not apply to your model.

IM Advanced Test-Force Cycle.jpg

Pkonthehill

Premium Member
Hi Jake - - I made the tests as you recommended. There is 110v and I inserting the wire to cause the harvest cycle to cycle. At this point, would you expect the water spigot to be triggered to fill the ice tray? And, in order for the water to be triggered, does the Acceler-ice unit need to be inplace? And is there a method to test if this unit is still working? Thanks for your help. Paul

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does your water dispenser still work and put water out in your glass when you press the water dispenser lever?

Ok, so when you jumped T and H with a jumper wire the ice maker cycled completely but no water came in to the ice maker tray?

During the ice maker cycle water is suppose to go into the ice maker towards the end of the ice maker cycle. So what you will need to do is pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel, then remove the electrical connector that connects to the single(primary) water inlet valve, then put one meter probes in each of the electrical terminals and then jump T and H again and watch your meter to see if it reads 120 volts towards the end of the ice maker cycle.

If you do NOT see 120 volts on your meter towards the end of the ice maker cycle, then your ice maker itself is the culprit, because its not sending the signal for the single(primary) water inlet valve to open and let water come into the ice maker tray,

Here's the Ice Maker assembly for your model you can order:
4317943 Whirlpool Icemaker Kit

Jake

Pkonthehill

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. Yes, I get water from the in-the-frig water spigot, and Yes water is not being trigger to fill the ice making tray. I will say, since making that initial jump or short with T and H, the round white dial rotates continuously.

I unscrewed the water inlet valve unit from the frig wall, and not knowing which was the single(primary) plug / connector, I took a measurement from the plug on the side of the valve that feeds the ice maker. When the ice maker cycled, the meter read 8.40v. I tested the other connector (inside water dispenser), and it showed 120v while dispensing. So 8.40v isn't triggering correctly, I'll replace the ice maker as recommended. But, what about the fan unit that connects to the front of the ice maker - how can I test it, or again, does the ice maker unit also control / activate it? Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you nailed it, the ice maker is the problem. The new ice maker should fix it all, even that fan in front of it.

You can use a cheater test cord with alligator clips to check the fan motor and see if it runs. Just put the alligator clips on the white/red wire and black/white wire.

Acceler-Ice-Unit-WP2255794-00984412.jpg

Jake

Pkonthehill

Premium Member
Hi Jake - So I can just plug a wire (like a cut down extension cord) with alligator clips, into a 110v outlet and attached the clips to the two poles connected to the wires you identified? I will connect first and plug second. I appreciate all you attention and help. Thanks. Paul

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Paul, that's exactly how you do it.:)

Jake