• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 111.73035910 Freezer Cold, Fresh Food Warm

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's perfect right where you attached it.(y)

Thanks!

Jake

DeRocha

Premium Member
Update: It has been a long road but my fridge is still not 100% :cry:

I couldn't find an OEM fridge fan so purchased a generic one on Amazon Generic fan Amazon 12v 4w 2400rpm (oem 12v 2.4w 2100rpm)
The generic fan has slightly higher rpms and uses 4w instead of 2.4w (OEM) (not sure if it makes a difference on the watts 🤷‍♂️)
I installed the replacement fan (after rewiring it so the power and frequency wires were in the correct positions)

OEM on top (Red,Yellow,Black) The Red and Purple wires were swapped. You can't simply After soldering the wires were shrink wrapped.
Generic Purple,Red,Black remove the wires since the terminals are different inside.
text
New fan plug wires.jpg
New fan plug wires wrapped.jpg

I restarted the fridge and the fan cooled the fridge down to 38F after about an hour or so. I thought all was well but the temp gradually rose to about 45F after a few hrs with the front panel set to 33F.
I found the online service manual and was able to put the fridge into Service mode. From there I found ALL the temperature sensors (fridge, freezer, Ice maker, room temp) were way out of whack.
The fridge sensor was reporting 26F when it was actually 45F. I then used my MM and expected it so show the sensor was faulty but the sensor ohms were correct (I was shocked). I then ordered a new PCB board.
The new PCB board showed all correct temperatures. I restarted the fridge and it worked for and hour or so chilling down to 38F and then gradually rising to 45F. :mad:

I then purchased a digital and 2 mechanical thermometers to validate the inside fridge temp. The digital thermometer has a 48hr High/Low memory so I can see how high/low the temp gets within 48hrs without having to constantly monitor it. Leaving the fridge alone for 48hrs I can see the high and low temps are 46F and 44F respectfully. This tells me the fridge is working but not cooling to 33F (the setting on the control panel). It appears the fridge fan is only coming on for about 12secs every minute before shutting off as if it's in some default mode. What is interesting is that if I unplug the fridge for 10min and restart it the fan will run fine and cool the fridge down to 38F after about an hour and then gradually resume the 45F temp. I was then thinking maybe the generic fan is bad/incompatible so I swapped the original fan back inside. The Original fan behaved just like the generic fan. I tested the PCB and confirmed that it's only sending 13v to the fan for the 12secs every min.

Note: the fridge has an accelerated chill function that when pressed will chill the fridge down to 33F for several hours. Pressing this button lights up the function but it doesn't appear to do anything.

So now I'm at a loss as to what to try next. What am I missing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Something is very odd with yours, I don't know what. I have not worked on this Kenmore 111 made by Daewoo.

Hopefully another tech that has can shed some light on this.

Jake

DeRocha

Premium Member
Update (Fixed): I gave up trying to figure out why the refrigerator fan was only intermittently working for 12 secs every minute (even though all sensors test fine and the PCB and fan were replaced). This intermittent fan was keeping the fridge around 45F. The freezer contains 2 fans: one to supply air to the refrigerator (which was the problem) and one to recirculate air in the freezer. The freezer fan seemed to work just fine so I used a 1a 50v rectifier between the 2 fans to power the refrigerator fan whenever the freezer fan was energized. With a 0F freezer setting and 37F fridge setting the refrigerator is now maintaining 35F confirmed by my digital thermometer which records high and low values. So while I would have liked to figure out the problem I am satisfied with this fix.

Note: The rectifier is a one way semiconductor that only allows the refrigerator fan to be powered when the refrigerator fan circuit OR freezer fan circuit is energized. It will only allow the freezer fan to be powered when the freezer circuit is energized.

Rectifier/diode between the fans.
20210515_131151.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad you got it fixed.(y)

Thanks for the update! That will help others too.:)

Jake

carm7119

Update (Fixed): I gave up trying to figure out why the refrigerator fan was only intermittently working for 12 secs every minute (even though all sensors test fine and the PCB and fan were replaced). This intermittent fan was keeping the fridge around 45F. The freezer contains 2 fans: one to supply air to the refrigerator (which was the problem) and one to recirculate air in the freezer. The freezer fan seemed to work just fine so I used a 1a 50v rectifier between the 2 fans to power the refrigerator fan whenever the freezer fan was energized. With a 0F freezer setting and 37F fridge setting the refrigerator is now maintaining 35F confirmed by my digital thermometer which records high and low values. So while I would have liked to figure out the problem I am satisfied with this fix.

Note: The rectifier is a one way semiconductor that only allows the refrigerator fan to be powered when the refrigerator fan circuit OR freezer fan circuit is energized. It will only allow the freezer fan to be powered when the freezer circuit is energized.

View attachment 58525
This still working? I have the exact same fridge and problem.

john in esky

Premium Member
I have a 111.73035910 and freezer works but refrigerator is warm. Refrigerator warmed up a couple times over the last 4 months. Unit is only 1.5 years old. I called a repair guy and he said they are not worth fixing and parts are hard to get.

From the manual on this blog i took a look myself. I checked the R sensor at 70 and 50 degrees and resistance was ok. With unit still plugged in i removed the freezer back panel expecting frost but it looked fine. R fan was not turning so i unplugged it and there was no 12 volts to it. (went across red and black then even to the yellow wire). I cycled the 12 volt power and the R fan did spin so i figured that was ok. Took a guess and ordered the main control board 40301-0125700-00 and that was not the problem. Still have a cold freezer and warm refrigerator.

Thanks,
John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It has to be that refrigerator fan motor John. Its 12V-DC.

Do exactly what @DeRocha did and that should fix yours too.

Jake

john in esky

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your reply. I ordered a 1 amp diode tonight but had a .25 amp one laying around so tried that for know. I thought i saw the motor was the motor was 2.5 watt so that diode might hold up. I feel air coming through the vents in refrigerator and at 45 degrees already. I will give a progress report after a few days

Thanks so much

DeRocha

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your reply. I ordered a 1 amp diode tonight but had a .25 amp one laying around so tried that for know. I thought i saw the motor was the motor was 2.5 watt so that diode might hold up. I feel air coming through the vents in refrigerator and at 45 degrees already. I will give a progress report after a few days

Thanks so much
Hi John, If the fan is working it should cool off the refrigerator to <40F within a few hrs at most.

john in esky

Premium Member
Update: I put the 1 amp diode on refrigerator and the refrigerator is running around 24 degrees. I turned the freezer temp up to 6 to see if freezer fan motor would run less. It did and now my refrigerator is around 27 degrees. The freezer temp is following the front panel settings. Thinking about putting a thermostat in series with the freezer fan power wire so R motor stops getting power at 37 degrees.

Could something be wrong under the refrigerator temp setting pushbutton (front panel)? Maybe the control board is getting bad info from whatever is under that pushbutton.

Thanks in advance for input.

skgupta24

Premium Member
I can confirm that PhxWilsonsKen's substitute Daewoo motor, with the red/purple wire swapped, works! Thanks!

Two months later, and it's working quite well. The substitute motor might be better than OEM. It runs at a higher amperage than the OEM, and I suspect that generates just enough additional heat to prevent the motor from freezing over with condensation and then failing.

In the meantime, it's been over 2 months since a Sears tech came to my house and diagnosed the bad fan and ordered a replacement OEM fan, and it's still on backorder...

I am not a fan, pun intended.

DeRocha

Premium Member
I can confirm that PhxWilsonsKen's substitute Daewoo motor, with the red/purple wire swapped, works! Thanks!

Two months later, and it's working quite well. The substitute motor might be better than OEM. It runs at a higher amperage than the OEM, and I suspect that generates just enough additional heat to prevent the motor from freezing over with condensation and then failing.

In the meantime, it's been over 2 months since a Sears tech came to my house and diagnosed the bad fan and ordered a replacement OEM fan, and it's still on backorder...

I am not a fan, pun intended.
Nice to hear your replacement fan is working. My replacement fan will only work for 5-6 weeks then stops working. It doesn't appear frozen like the OEM fan as I can freely spin the fan blades. This has happened 3x since May. When It happens I swap in the original OEM fan that freezes in it's place and it works fine for another 5-6 weeks. I have no idea why the original fan freezes. I will pick up a new fan to see if it can run for more than 6 weeks.

skgupta24

Premium Member
Nice to hear your replacement fan is working. My replacement fan will only work for 5-6 weeks then stops working. It doesn't appear frozen like the OEM fan as I can freely spin the fan blades. This has happened 3x since May. When It happens I swap in the original OEM fan that freezes in it's place and it works fine for another 5-6 weeks. I have no idea why the original fan freezes. I will pick up a new fan to see if it can run for more than 6 weeks.
Yikes! That's awfully annoying.

I don't know if there's a difference, but the fan that I used was this one (with the red/purple wire swap): amazon.com/gp/product/B07T89BDJH/

I noticed that, before it failed, the OEM fan made quite a racket. So far, the substitute motor has been super quiet.

Good luck!

john in esky

Premium Member
Update on my 111.73035910 . The diode was working good for about 6 weeks. The refrigerator is now going back into the mid 50's and in a few days back into the mid 30's.
I replace the circuit board with no success.
Refrigerator motor was not getting voltage when it should so didn't change that.
Refrigerator temp sensor is good.
I had exact same issues as DeRocha so tried the diode he did. Everything looked great in about 2 hours. Worked great for 6 weeks and back to the same thing.
Freezer, ice and water dispenser work great but starting to look at a new refrigerator.

skgupta24

Premium Member
John - I think we got a real lemon in 111.73035910. I'm really regretting this purchase. My ice maker just recently stopped working after I fixed my fan issue.

I least have an extended warranty from Sears -- but what's the point if the replacement parts are in perpetual backorder or will simply fail again after another 12 months?!

Emmett

Premium Member
I have the same fridge and same problem. I have alternative fans being delivered today. I hope we can all figure this one out. Definitely a strange problem
20210811_171941.jpg
20210813_083207.jpg

Emmett

Premium Member

View attachment 58525
What 2 wires go to the refrigerator evap fan?

Thanks