• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 111.73035910 Freezer Cold, Fresh Food Warm

Emmett

Premium Member
sorry, I don't mean to spam this thread. I found out that the same evap fan motor that cools the fridge is the same one that cools the ice box. If you tape down the 2 door switches at the top. I find that the evaporator fan runs no problem and is continuously cooling the icebox. i am speculating the blend door is not directing air to the the fridge compartment. possible a bad temp sensor in the ice box taking priority over the fridge.

Emmett

Premium Member
So far. I just replaced my fan motor with 4681JB1029A Been working good thus far. (2hours)

amazon.com/dp/B08SM689G9/

Just had to cut the red and purple wires and cross them over. ( red to purple and purple to red) and it worked. The fan was a little deeper cause the shaft is a big longer but If I don't get the desired temp. I will cut back the shaft and set it right to get some more air flow.

Attachments

• 71w8zWOZo-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71w8zWOZo-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 49

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's good to hear @Emmett thanks for the update!

Jake

DHIL

Well, I found a motor that was a perfect fit and the refrigerator is working again. The only problem was the plug was wired incorrectly. On the original motor, the plug’s 3 wires, colored Red, Yellow, Black were in that order. The new motor used a Purple wire instead of a yellow wire. The new motor’s plug was wired incorrectly - Purple, Red, Black. I reversed the Red and Purple wire so now the plug’s wires were Red, Purple, Black.

amazon.com/50240401000Q-Avanti-Premium-Daewoo-Refrigerator/dp/B07T89BDJH
Ken, I have the same exact model giving the same problem. How is the motor holding up and did you order a fan blade with it? Thanks

MrWill61

Well, I found a motor that was a perfect fit and the refrigerator is working again. The only problem was the plug was wired incorrectly. On the original motor, the plug’s 3 wires, colored Red, Yellow, Black were in that Wilson stated . The new motor used a Purple wire instead of a yellow wire. The new motor’s plug was wired incorrectly - Purple, Red, Black. I reversed the Red and Purple wire so now the plug’s wires were Red, Purple, Black.

amazon.com/50240401000Q-Avanti-Premium-Daewoo-Refrigerator/dp/B07T89BDJH
This is actually the best way to repair your refrigerator if you are waiting on Sears. I ordered 2 motors, just in case. I ordered a $20.00 motor and a back up, different brand.
as Mr. Wilson mentioned all you have to do is reverse the red and purple wires. I have read other blogs were customers have waited for over 6 months.
These blogs are helpful, especially for If you are a DIY.

Oh by the way I am still waiting on sears after 3 months. The refrigerator didn't last 2 years, I have read some evaporator motors go out less than a year.
Now I am shell shocked about any Kenmore products.

Thanks for the info Mr. Wilson, I hope this helps some else, a $20.00 fix Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

m_kerby

Premium Member
I used PhxWilsonKen suggested fix and the motor seems to be working fine, Thx! I also want to thank DeRocha for posting the service manual as it came in handy. My refrigerator is model 111.73309910, I bought it in October 2019. So far this is the second repair we have made to the unit. The first was the flow sensor that started leaking. We were lucky, my wife notice it before it became a big problem. We waited over 2 months for that part to come in. I just hope this fix will keep the unit going until there is a bigger selection of refrigerators on the market. I am going back to a standard side-by-side made by either GE or Whirlpool. Thanks for help!

Robert4

Premium Member
@m_kerby, good luck!
It's going to be some time before there's more selection on the market because of issues with parts coming in from overseas like microchips. I would stay away from Whirlpool made side-by-sides (Whirlpool, Kenmore 106 models, Maytag and Kitchenaid) with an in-door ice maker, because those can have a problem with the ice maker wires break at the bottom hinge of the door. The wiring harness is foamed into the door and can't be replaced. You can fix them by soldering the broken wires together, but it can still break again. The models with the ice maker in the freezer are a much better design, such as Kenmore 50043 (made by Whirlpool) or Whirlpool WRS335SDHM.

m_kerby

Premium Member
@m_kerby, good luck!
It's going to be some time before there's more selection on the market because of issues with parts coming in from overseas like microchips. I would stay away from Whirlpool made side-by-sides (Whirlpool, Kenmore 106 models, Maytag and Kitchenaid) with an in-door ice maker, because those can have a problem with the ice maker wires break at the bottom hinge of the door. The wiring harness is foamed into the door and can't be replaced. You can fix them by soldering the broken wires together, but it can still break again. The models with the ice maker in the freezer are a much better design, such as Kenmore 50043 (made by Whirlpool) or Whirlpool WRS335SDHM.
Robert4. Thanks. I have looked at the models with the ice maker in the door and it appeared to not hold as much ice as the standard in the freezer units. Good to know up front there are also issues with reliability. Hopefully the manufacturing and supply chain issues can get worked out in a few months, maybe spring??

lcons001

Premium Member
This is actually the best way to repair your refrigerator if you are waiting on Sears. I ordered 2 motors, just in case. I ordered a $20.00 motor and a back up, different brand.
as Mr. Wilson mentioned all you have to do is reverse the red and purple wires. I have read other blogs were customers have waited for over 6 months.
These blogs are helpful, especially for If you are a DIY.

Oh by the way I am still waiting on sears after 3 months. The refrigerator didn't last 2 years, I have read some evaporator motors go out less than a year.
Now I am shell shocked about any Kenmore products.

Thanks for the info Mr. Wilson, I hope this helps some else, a $20.00 fix Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the information. I bought the fan motor from Amazon. I have a question, albeit dumb, but what is the best way to reverse the red and purple wires? Would it be to just cut, swap the wires, then solder? Or is there another method?

Also where can I find the original fan motor on the fridge? Should I just unscrew the entire back panel?

Please advise.

m_kerby

Premium Member
Icons001,

I just cut the wires, swapped them, soldered, and used a heat shrink material to seal.

the fan on my unit is in the freezer section behind the panel on the back wall. I have to remove the ice maker (two screws, slide forward, remove electrical connector) to access. There are two recessed screws on each side of the back panel that have to be remove before the panel will come off. I was able to remove the panel from the left side and just set it to the right side of the freezer while I removed and replaced the fan. It is the fan located on the left side of the back wall not the one that is in the middle of the panel.

Attachments

• 5A0F4259-0CC2-4DD2-983C-A2B1ECA4164B.jpeg
    5A0F4259-0CC2-4DD2-983C-A2B1ECA4164B.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 53

lcons001

Premium Member
Icons001,

I just cut the wires, swapped them, soldered, and used a heat shrink material to seal.

the fan on my unit is in the freezer section behind the panel on the back wall. I have to remove the ice maker (two screws, slide forward, remove electrical connector) to access. There are two recessed screws on each side of the back panel that have to be remove before the panel will come off. I was able to remove the panel from the left side and just set it to the right side of the freezer while I removed and replaced the fan. It is the fan located on the left side of the back wall not the one that is in the middle of the panel.
Thanks so much for the information. I was able to do that per your instructions. Yes you are right, there are two (2) fans just like you mentioned and like your picture. I unplugged my fridge before performing any of the steps. When I removed the panel and saw the fan I said to myself let me plug in the fridge to see if the fan even spins. Low and behold the fan spins...so now I am little confused to why this fan is spinning. I thought it was not supposed to spin. I also notice the other fan (the fan in the middle of the panel) did not turn on because it was not in place, even though the plug was never disconnected.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? The only thing I can think of on why it was spinning is maybe since I unplugged the fridge, the fridge defrosted, therefore the fan might have been covered in ice before and that prevented it from spinning (assuming it was not spinning before).

m_kerby

Premium Member
Thanks so much for the information. I was able to do that per your instructions. Yes you are right, there are two (2) fans just like you mentioned and like your picture. I unplugged my fridge before performing any of the steps. When I removed the panel and saw the fan I said to myself let me plug in the fridge to see if the fan even spins. Low and behold the fan spins...so now I am little confused to why this fan is spinning. I thought it was not supposed to spin. I also notice the other fan (the fan in the middle of the panel) did not turn on because it was not in place, even though the plug was never disconnected.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? The only thing I can think of on why it was spinning is maybe since I unplugged the fridge, the fridge defrosted, therefore the fan might have been covered in ice before and that prevented it from spinning (assuming it was not spinning before).
My fan would start working once it thawed out. I have not ever had an issue with the freezer fan so can’t comment on that.

lcons001

Premium Member
Ahh ok I see so that's probably why the refrigerator fan was working for me. It simply thawed out and started spinning.

In other words I still have to replace the refrigerator fan even it started spinning after it thawed out.

Over night I did notice my refrigerator get a bit cold but definitely not cold good enough. I think the original fan is not spinning again (I did not replace the fan with the new one yet).

Via_CNC

Same fridge, same symptoms, except.....
I hooked up a meter to the refrigerator fan plug in the freezer section and get no voltage, but if I open the refrigerator door the voltage creeps up slowly from 2V to about 12.75V as long as the door is open but goes off when I close the door. Can someone tell me if this fridge is made to turn on the refrigerator fan when the door is opened?

Well, even though the meter shows it has 12V, it won't run a known good fan. Probably going to just rig it the way you did here and just use it.

Thanks

Last edited:

lcons001

Premium Member
I finally changed the refrigerator fan this past weekend. I did the steps mentioned above. I had to look up how to solder wires because I have no clue how to do that (YouTube has several how to videos). The previous fan worked when it was defrosted but I think as soon as it gets too cold it stops. I believe the ice stops the fan from spinning. Now with the new fan it seems like it's working properly. The refrigerator is colder than before. The gallon of water I put in there is nice and cold. Let's see how long this fix works.

As for the new fan, it looks very similar to the original one. You can get that fan on Amazon. Someone above put a link to the fan.

Thanks everyone for all the help on this matter!

lcons001

Premium Member
Just an update, almost a week from when I installed the new fan. This refrigerator is working better than ever. It's so cold and it maintains the coolness. Can't believe a $40 fan fixed this. Again thanks all for saving me bucks!

m_kerby

Premium Member
Glad that it is working for you. Mine is still working as well. I do have an issue with the top ice maker. It makes ice but has never really switched very well between cubed and crushed ice. Seems to always want to crush at least part of the ice. It also sometimes does not seem to get cold enough to keep the ice completely frozen which caused water to leak from the ice maker compartment into the refrigerator and dispenser area. We just stopped using the top ice maker due to the constant issues with it. The bottom ice maker works ok but we do have to reset it now and then. Too many issues with a 2 year old refrigerator.

lcons001

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that. I have not connected the ice maker on my fridge due to the fridge issues but now that you tell me that I think I will avoid that completely. As a rule of thumb, consumers should avoid Kenmore right? I hear that Whirlpool and GE are the best in the industry. Just for future reference when I purchase my next fridge.

m_kerby

Premium Member
Take a look up in the tread to the post from Robert4. He has some recommendations for units to avoid and to look for.