• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 795.72489.411 water dispenser not working

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Based upon information found online, I've tested water line, I have lots of pressure, and replaced water filter with new one. I've checked continuity of solenoid in water inlet valve and it was good, then disconnected water from the valve to checked the flow meter and found no water was flowing. Based upon that information, I ordered a new water intake valve.

However, when I installed it, I still did not have water from dispenser. I checked that supposedly new solenoid and found it was good. I checked the flow meter again and no water was dispensed from water intake valve. Supply house thought perhaps I had received a faulty water inlet valve, however, I'm concerned that there might be another reason why a new water intake valve did not solve my problem.

Another thread mentioned that my Kenmore was made by LG and that another solenoid was behind the water filter and could cause the problem. I'm not sure how to access that solenoid or if that suggestion is even applicable to my unit. I have a second water intake valve enroute to me but would like to see if I should pursue other things. Would appreciate any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, there is a water inlet valve in the left side door.

Here it is for your model:

Kenmore 795 is made by LG.

This video should give you the general idea of how to access it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thank you so much for this video. although my Kenmore has a little different door because the location shown on this video is where the water filter is, the video still works for showing where this other water intake valve is located.

My challenge remains however regarding the water flow meter on the water intake valve at the back of the refrigerator. The tutorial I watched suggested that after testing for continuity, I should reconnect everything but the line coming out of the flow meter and then activate the water dispenser, if no water comes out of the water intake valve then the flow meter is defective and needs to be replaced.

My question is whether there is another circuit somewhere that could cause the water to not flow out of the back water intake valve with everything connected except the line out of the flow meter? For example, could the water intake valve at the front, if defective, cause the water flow meter not to function? Or is there an electrical circuit on a circuit board somewhere that would be defective and remove electricity to the water flow meter. I also tested the water flow meter for continuity and it showed it was ok.

Finally, I did not find any tutorial for testing the front water intake valve; is it safe to assume I could test that unit in by the same steps shown for the water intake valve at the back? Does the front intake valve include both solenoids and flow meters?

thank you so much for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My question is whether there is another circuit somewhere that could cause the water to not flow out of the back water intake valve with everything connected except the line out of the flow meter? For example, could the water intake valve at the front, if defective, cause the water flow meter not to function? Or is there an electrical circuit on a circuit board somewhere that would be defective and remove electricity to the water flow meter.
That, I don't know, sorry. Hopefully another tech can answer that for you.

is it safe to assume I could test that unit in by the same steps shown for the water intake valve at the back?
That, I don't know either, but I don't see any reason why not.

Does the front intake valve include both solenoids and flow meters?
It has both solenoids, I don't think it has the flow meter, the primary water inlet valve in the back is the only one I've see with the flow meter.

This is how it works:
There are two water valves, primary(back of the refrigerator) and secondary(in the left side door). When voltage is applied the appropriate coil opens and water flows through the primary valve and through the water filter to the secondary valve. At the same time, voltage is also applied to the appropriate solenoid on the secondary valve. The secondary valve has one line in and two lines out, one for ice maker and one for dispenser.

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Well, I've now replaced both water inlet valves. When I replaced the water inlet valve in the back, I found that I now have water to the ice maker but nothing at the water dispenser. Unfortunately, now that both water inlet valves have been replaced, I still cannot get water at the dispenser. Prior to replacing the valve in the door and now, when I push the dispenser handler for the water, I hear a good hum from the valve in the door.

I've looked at the water filter and replaced it. Some have posted pictures of a filter that has two small buttons and they offer the suggestion that there is a bypass system with the water filter and perhaps that is stuck. This filter isn't shaped that way and there is nothing visible at the connection between the filter and the frig that indicates there is a bypass "button."

I wouldn't think it is the handle and activator switch because I hear the hum.

Any other suggestions? Somewhere I read something about air in the line. How would you "bleed" the air on such a system?

Also, any suggestions for testing any bypass switch or such at the water filter?

At least I'm getting ice and the small tank below the water inlet valve in the door is full; something is simply not allowing the water to get to the dispenser.

I hope someone has ideas - besides, "its time to call the repairman!" Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it sounds like a blockage of some sort between the valve in the door and the water tank or in the water filter head, or to the front water dispenser itself.

Remove the plastic water line tubing off from the water tank and see if water starts flowing from the plastic water line tubing when you press the water dispenser lever.

Do that same for the water filter head, remove the plastic water line tubing from the water filter head and see if water starts flowing from the plastic water line tubing when you press the water dispenser lever.

Also blow through the plastic water line tubing that goes to the front dispenser and see if its clear with no blockage in it.

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I have pursued your advice and found that all the lines are clear. I had the circuits checked and have now learned that the rear water intake valve has separate circuits coming to it; one set for the water dispenser and a separate one for the water to ice maker. Thus I am getting water to the ice maker but there is no power to the rear water intake valve when the water dispenser is engaged. A LG tech shared that the challenge now is being able to determine if the problem is in the board or the line between the board and the water intake valve. Evidently something has happened between my earliest efforts, when I was getting water out of the rear water intake valve and now when that valve is not getting power at all when the water dispenser is engaged. The tech shared the challenges now are that either you cannot get schematics for the Board or the wiring or if you get a schematic, you often find that the colors shown on the schematics do not correlate to what you see in your machine at all.

So, I'm not thinking whether to purchase a new board and seeing if that solves the situation or simply living with the fact that I can get ice but not water. I wasn't encouraged by the tech's comments about lack of support from any of the refrigerator companies right now.

If any one has information for schematics for this Kenmore model or the corresponding LG model or the information I provided above, I'd appreciate that information. Thank you for all yoru help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, all you have is a dispenser switch that sends power to the back water inlet valve to open the solenoid up to let water flow to the door water inlet valve and at the same time the door water inlet valve opens up to let water go your water dispenser.

Since you get ice then that dispenser switch is good, so it must be the dispenser pcb board or broken wire from the dispenser pcb board to the back water inlet valve.

Remove the top door hinge cover and check all the wires up there and look for any that are broken or pinched.

I did locate the service manual for your model here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v34JnwdAL62gzsHHqmAwqTwY60pJfwqF/view?usp=sharing

Look on Page 62 and Page 63 has a flowchart you can follow.

Here's the dispenser pcb board for your model:

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thank you again Jake for your assistance and information you have provided. The Tech who visited us today looked up the "board" he thought this machine needed and sent me this part # CSP30020852. I will check and see if I can find information on whether this is the same as what you shared. If you have some way to double check his part number against your information to see if they are the same, just different parts from different sources or something like that, I'd appreciate it.

I will also check the additional information and suggestions you have provided here. Take Care!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope, that's the main control board.

If you look at the service manual the ice dispenser auger motor and water dispenser circuit goes through the dispenser pcb board I posted above. That is getting power from the main pcb board, if it wasn't then the ice dispenser auger motor would not work. You see what I mean?

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thanks, that makes sense. I've looked at the pages you referenced and just for clarification, what you are calling dispenser pcb board; is that what those pages call the PWB (PCB) Assembly, Sub and some of the pictures show as CON2?

I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is exactly correct.:)

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
I'm continuing to pursue where the power break is occurring. It doesn't seem to be the water dispenser sub board and may be in wires going from there to the water valve in door. Can you tell me how the front of the dispenser is pried open; either with diagram or video? Can it be popped open with flat scrapper or something? thank you for your continued help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In the service manual I posted in post #8 look at page 14 and it shows the person pushing down on the dispenser frame, so it should just unsnap off.

I don't see anywhere in the service manual you can get access inside the door to check for broken wires.

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thanks. I just wanted to check continuity from the door hinge wiring to behind the dispenser frame. A Kenmore repairman gave me the understanding that the wiring in the door, from the hinge area to the dispenser, is "foamed in" as the door is constructed and cannot be accessed or repaired. The only option would be to replace the entire door, if that were even possible. I'm just trying to trace everything I can.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A Kenmore repairman gave me the understanding that the wiring in the door, from the hinge area to the dispenser, is "foamed in" as the door is constructed and cannot be accessed or repaired. The only option would be to replace the entire door, if that were even possible.
Yes, that is true.

Here's the left side refrigerator door assembly for your model:

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
I've been away for a spell because the compressor failed on this same refrigerator. Now back and still trying to fix the water dispenser problem. I wanted to ask about how the water dispenser system works relative to the water filter. The manual for this model notes that "this refrigerator does not require a filter bypass plug when the filer is not in place." I have verified that because before we lost function of the water dispenser, I removed the water filter and we were still able to dispense water.

I am therefore wondering how this works. Our most recent repairman who replaced the compressor indicated that he had not seen a system where the water would dispense without a filter in place or at minimum a bypass plug. Nevertheless, this one does, or at least did.

Is there something in the water filter housing which allows water to flow and bypass the filter? Could this possibly be the problem with our water dispenser? If not in the filter housing, what does allow the water to flow when the filter is removed?

thank you for your continuing assistance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I not sure how this water filter head works, but most have a spring and seals that move back and forth when you insert the water filter.

If something goes wrong with the spring and seals it may not let the water flow out properly.

So if you have plenty of water pressure to the refrigerator and you already replaced both water inlet valves, then that water filter head is the only part left that would cause this problem.

Here's the water filter head for your model:

I looked through the service manual and it does not tell you how to replace it, that's why I do not like LG products, their service manuals are very vague and incomplete.

Jake

fjfagergren

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I've spoken with a Kenmore tech and they confirmed this piece can fail. Interestingly, they also told me there is an additional board behind the water dispenser panel and should be checked. I think the manual refers to it as a sub PCB. As you noted, there is not much detail in these service manuals.

Have you had any experience with these boards that sit behind the dispenser panel?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I mentioned above:

Here's the service manual for your model here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v34JnwdAL62gzsHHqmAwqTwY60pJfwqF/view?usp=sharing

Look on Page 62 and Page 63 has a flowchart you can follow.

Here's the dispenser SUB pcb board for your model:

Have you had any experience with these boards that sit behind the dispenser panel?
If you mean have I ever used the flowchart to check voltage from the SUB pcb board to the water inlet valve, I haven't on this machine, but on others NOT made by LG I have and its pretty straightforward, you just use your meter probes to test voltage where it tells you too, mainly at the water inlet valve itself when you have someone press the water dispenser paddle.

But on the LG brand they want you to test voltage at the SUB pcb board at CON2 pins 10 and 11 when pressing the water dispenser lever.

Jake