• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 795.72489.411 - Water to door but no water to ice-maker

ArcaneTourist

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The icemaker on my Kenmore Elite 795.72489.411 french door refrigerator stopped working. No error codes. Only symptom is that no water goes to the ice cube tray. Water still goes to the door dispenser.

The test button on the icemaker failed to rotate the tray. So, I replaced the icemaker. Still have the exact same behavior including no response from the test button.

The rear of the fridge has a solenoid with a single output line running into the door. So, it's not that. The temperature is fine at 10 degrees (and lowering it did not help). I also tried setting the temperature for the freezer to maximum overnight and then using a blow dryer on the ice compartment with no luck.

Looking closer at the icemaker test button, I see that it's just wired into the icemaker tray motor. I didn't rig wires and check with my multimeter, but unless I got another bad unit, the controller must not be sending power to the tray motor.

I took a look at the control board. Nothing looks visibly bad. All functions work except for making ice.

I don't know where to look next. Double check that the new icemaker motor isn't DOA? Take the door apart and see if there is a solenoid for just the icemaker's water line? Something else?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

ArcaneTourist

Premium Member
Thank you! Thank you! That manual is extremely helpful. It's not much, but I made use of your "donate" button.

This model has one solenoid that sends a single tube of water to the door. There's another (dual) solenoid in the left door just past the removable water filter. That dual solenoid feeds both the water dispenser and the ice maker. I removed and tested that solenoid and found that it works. So, I'm guessing the problem lies in the circuit that controls this solenoid. That would be the "sub" PCB that the manual calls EBR76468402 but which is labeled EBR764684 (without the trailing 02). This PCB is usually sold combined with its plastic housing as part ABQ72940021.

I'd rather test the ABQ72940021 part instead of replacing it based on guesswork, but I'm not sure how.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
But you didn't answer my question, and I really need to know this first:
Did you Press and hold the TEST button down till the tray starts to move. Then release it? Did it move?

Jake

ArcaneTourist

Premium Member
Sorry, missed that. No, pressing and *holding* the test button does not cause the tray to move - neither on the original icemaker nor on the replacement.

It looks like that test button tests *just* the tray motor. I expect that no power is going to the tray motor, but I didn't test for voltage.

I also didn't test for voltage on the water solenoid, but I can't imagine that the problem on the solenoid is the wiring rather than one of the PCBs.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to test for voltage to the ice maker then, because that TEST button should make the new ice maker cycle if proper voltage is going to the ice maker.

Jake

ArcaneTourist

Premium Member
The ice maker receives power. The motor for the ice augur runs when I press the dispenser button. The solenoid for the water dispenser works.

So, the ice maker is getting power. However, each device on the ice maker seems to have its own power wires from the controller. The ice maker has a 20-pin header with 18 wires actually attached. Is it enough to know that power is coming in or do I need to test specifically for power to the tray motor? I'm not sure how to go about that. I guess I could scrape some insulation ... and maybe go buy some shrink wrap insulated tubing to repair after testing. Or there's probably a trick to getting the connector to release a wire.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would need to see the schematic for your model, unfortunately I was not able to locate it and without it I can't tell you which wires power the ice maker.

I did find this thread that uses your same ice maker that Rick helped with:

Jake