• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Kenmore Elite Refrigerator 795.77579600 Water periodically leaks out near the back and coming out along the side and the bottom front

J C 70

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi! I have a Kenmore Elite refrigerator 795.77579600 side by side, freezer bottom. Water periodically leaks out near the back and coming out along the side and the bottom front. Not constantly, but every so often there's a small pool of water on the floor.
I read that the defrost drain is a common cause of this issue and I checked it- it's clear. The drain pan has some water in it and a lot of crud. I'm not the handiest person around, but I'm willing to try and learn- I just don't know what else/where else to check.
Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
but every so often there's a small pool of water on the floor.
That sounds like the water is leaking every time the machine goes into a defrost cycle. How long is "every so often" ?
The drain pan has some water in it
How much water? Look on the water lines under the machine, especially at the connectors for any signs of leaking. Is there any ice build up on the freezer floor?

J C 70

Premium Member
Thanks for the response. About 10-12 fl. oz give or take. The lines look ok, except for some dirt/gunk buildup around a valve- I believe it's the intake valve.
On the freezer floor? Like under the drawer?

rickgburton

Staff member
I believe it's the intake valve.
The water supply line connects to the isolation valve in the machine compartment. The water line from the isolation valve goes to the water filter and from the water filter to the left refrigerator door at the top hinge. The dual water valve, the water tank and ice maker are in the door. Check the water line connector under the hinge cover.
The drain pan has some water in it
How much water?
There shouldn't be any water in it. The drain pan catches the water from a defrost cycle. The heater melts the thin layer of frost on the coils so it's not that much water. When the water reaches the drain pan, the warm air from the condensor coils and fan evaporates the water is a short amount of time. The defrost pan should be dry a few hours after a defrost cycle. Look closely at the isolation valve for any leaking while dispensing water. The isolation valve is energized when the dispenser or ice maker is calling for water.

J C 70

Premium Member
Thanks again- I think I answered one of your questions incorrectly. The 10-12 oz of water was the leak, not in the pan. The pan has very little water to no water in it, as you said it should.
When you say hinge compartment, do you mean the back compartment at the bottom?
Also, is the isolation valve the one that resembles this one? ( I didn't get the exact one, I just googled kenmore intake valve fridge, so I know it looks more or less like this one)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.53.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 10.53.32 AM.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 40

rickgburton

Staff member
Is it coming from the door? Check the bottom of the door for any water leaks. Open the freezer door and see if there is any ice on the freezer floor.

J C 70

Premium Member
I still haven't checked the isolation valve (not sure which one that is- I sent a pic in an earlier message) to see if it's leaking when dispensing water, as you suggested.

rickgburton

Staff member
not sure which one that is- I sent a pic in an earlier message
The water supply line connects to the isolation valve in the machine compartment.
Isolation valve with the flow meter attached. Yours may not have a flow meter:
lg-valve-asy-wa-aju72992601-ap4671476_01_l.jpg

J C 70

Premium Member
Yes, that's the one I thought it was. It's kind of crudded over with dirt and gunk. Would that indicate a leak? Or should I still check if it leaks when water is dispensed?
The water pooled on the floor again about an hour ago and no water on the freezer floor again.

J C 70

Premium Member
Hi- I appreciate your help- using your advice, I found the source of the leak. It's the lock on the hose. ( I usually unplugged the machine and turned the water off when I'd open the compartment, so I hadn't seen it before). I took a pic of the lock- the water comes out of the connector/lock squirting up as indicated by the arrow.
Do I need to replace the entire hose leading down to the isolation valve? Or just the locking mechanism?
Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 48

rickgburton

Staff member
That's the first time I've seen a John Guest fitting leak. Remove the fitting and cut about a 1/2" off of each water line end then push the lines in the fitting as far as it will go and see if that fixes it. If you need a new fitting/coupler they're available at any of the home centers.