Kenmore elite refrigerator error code er FF

ta5

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello, I have a Kenmore Elite french door style refrigerator, model 795.75546400. I am getting error code ER FF. It clears if I unplug the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes, then re-appears in about a day.

Searching the web, I've found this is a fault with the freezer fan. I also found an LG Trio repair manual which is a similar refrigerator, and for this error code it says: Abnormality of BLDC FAN Motor for Freezer.

I guess this error is usually a defective fan motor but sometimes a bad control board. People seem to disagree on which one to replace.

Could you confirm that the correct part numbers are:

4681JK1004A for the freezer fan motor
and 6871JB1280P for the control board?

Any other related accessories, seals, brackets, etc that I'd also need?

thank you.

PS I also found a part number for a service manual which is supposed to be for this refrigerator (P/N 3828JL8028B) but no description of the contents so I have no idea if this would be helpful in replacing these items or is little more than the owner's manual.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

ta5

Premium Member
Thanks for confirming.
Do you know of any videos or instructions showing how to get the internal back panel of the freezer off, to replace the fan motor? Looks like the icemaker first has to be removed/disconnected before the panel can be removed, but I'm not completely sure how it is attached.

ta5

Premium Member
I was able to brute-force the back panel off. The fan is actually working so I'm not sure why it gave the er FF code.
I put it in test mode which continuously runs the fan and it seem OK. I then put it in a mode that shuts the fan off and turns the defrost heater on and it did shut the fan off and I could feel the heating element get hot. That also implies the control board is working.

Any suggestions on what next? I ordered the fan motor so I guess I won't need that.

The freezer is still cold, but the refrigerator portion is warming up, around 42*F now.

ta5

Premium Member
Some additional info: I'm attaching the LG Trio service manual below that I am referring to.

It seems mostly applicable to the Kenmore model I have. See pg 33 for the test modes I mentioned above. Any other troubleshooting I can do with those test modes?

Attachments