Kenmore Elite Side-by-side loud buzzing, hot compressor

roushraven

Premium Member
Model
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Yesterday my Sears Kenmore refridgerator started making strange noises (noticeable click and buzzing). The sound lasts for 15-20 seconds and stops. This pattern cycles pretty consistently every 15-20 minutes. Also, the compressor is hot to the touch.

I did a google search and found this site. After not finding my model number referenced in any of the forum posts I decided to create this thread to ask for guidance.

However based on what I've read here it seems like the problem may be with the "start relay". Any ideas? Also, is it safe to keep the refridgerator plugged in until repaired or given its current condition is that unsafe?

Thanks in advance,

-Arthur

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unplug the machine. Remove the bail wire holding the relay/overload/start device to the compressor. Remove the two wire connector from the relay/overload/start device. Pull the relay/overload/start device straight off the compressor. Shake the device and see if you notice any rattling sound that would indicate the relay/overload/start device needs to be replaced. This is a common problem found mostly on Whirlpool/ Kenmore/ Kitchen-Aid refrigerators. Most of the defective relays/overloads/start devices were installed on Embraco compressors. Use an ohmmeter set on the lowest scale to check the start device from the two terminals on the front of the case. The meter should indicate a resistance of between 3 and 26 ohms. A defective relay will measure zero (0) ohms (shorted) or infinite resistance (open). You can use it like that until you get the part but the clicking you hear is the overload opening and closing. Eventually it will open and not close and the compressor won't turn on. If the relay/overload/start device is good the compressor is most likely shot.

Start Device 8201786 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Start-Device-8201786-01023085.jpg

roushraven

Premium Member
Thank you for the assistance. I ordered the part and I'll post an update to this thread once I receive and install it. Hopefully I won't need a new compressor.

-Arthur

roushraven

Premium Member
Update

I replaced the start device and unfortunately the problem persists. In fact the "clicking and buzzing" sound interval is more frequent - approximately every 10 minutes and lasts for about 5 seconds. The compressor is still hot to the touch. The good news is that so far the freezer and fridge are still cold.

What's your suggestion now?

-Arthur

rickgburton

Staff member
What's your suggestion now?
I suggest you start looking for a new refrigerator. The compressor's shot. You can check the outlet and make sure you don't have a low voltage issue but I'm guessing, since you didn't check the start device, you don't have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter).

roushraven

Premium Member
I suggest you start looking for a new refrigerator. The compressor's shot. You can check the outlet and make sure you don't have a low voltage issue but I'm guessing, since you didn't check the start device, you don't have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter).
Correct, I do not have a VOM but I guess the point is moot. So I take it the compressors are not replaceable on this model?? If so then that blows big time.

Thanks for the help.

rickgburton

Staff member
It's replaceable but the cost will probably exceed it's value. In my area a compressor replacement costs between $500 and $700.

rickgburton

Staff member
Anytime! That's the worst part of this, having to give someone bad news. On the bright side, you didn't have to pay anyone $75 for the same news.