• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kenmore Elite Side by Side Refrigerator/Freezer cooling issues model 106.54786802

BreadBOB

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello!
I'm new to the forum but I have spent a lot of time browsing posts over the last few days trying to find more information regarding my cooling issue. About a week ago we noticed things starting to defrost in the freezer. Initially I pulled the evaporator coil cover off and found a big ball of ice covering the thermostat (see picture). I defrosted everything and cleaned the condenser coils really well.

Once plugged back in I noticed that it still wasn't reaching the set temperature of 0F. The refrigerator seems to be much closer to the set temperature 37-38F (set at 36). I thought the freezer issue could be a defrost issue. The defrost heater has continuity with an ohm resistance of about 25. The thermostat appears to have continuity at the correct temperatures (I placed it into my basement freezer) and I later observed a defrost cycle while the evaporator cover was off.

Now I am not sure what the issue could be. The compressor and compressor fan appear to be operating normally (not too hot.) I cannot find the tech sheet or service manual and cannot figure out how to run the diagnostics. If everything else is running normally, would it be one of the control boards?

If it is a control board, does anyone know which of the two boards controls the defrost/temperature regulation in the freezer? Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 20211211_170136.jpg
    20211211_170136.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 51

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good photo! You have a sealed system problem, The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

NORMAL would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from TOP to BOTTOM, Look at the bottom photo below.

Frost Patterns.jpg

BreadBOB

Premium Member
Thank you! It was the answer I feared, but expected. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to diagnose the issue. You picture is very helpful. Out of curiosity, do you know how to place this model into a diagnostic check? I spent a whole day trying to research it and came up with nothing. Cheers!
Have a great holiday! (I guess I know what I'm getting)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Out of curiosity, do you know how to place this model into a diagnostic check?
Yes, I'm attaching your tech. data sheet, it tells you how.

Jake

Attachments

• Service and Wiring Sheet - W10219163 - Rev A.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 62